gimbel bellow installation alpha 1 gen 2

sport2246

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Sep 2, 2010
Messages
10
I am tring to install gimble bellow to the gimbal. I notice that I had a round rubber piece in grove. I thought that the lip of the bellow gets seated in that groove. Previose treads do not mention this rubber piece. Also do I need to use the cement to install the bellows in the groove? Treads that I have read pointed to ether use the merc power tune or soap and water when installing bellows and sleeve in the groove.

Thanks for help

sport
 

45Auto

Commander
Joined
May 31, 2002
Messages
2,842
Re: gimbel bellow installation alpha 1 gen 2

Sounds like you may be confused on terminology. There should not be any kind of "round rubber piece" in the groove on either the transom housing or gimbal housing which the bellows seats into.

Pictures of what you're talking about would probably help a lot.
 

sport2246

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Sep 2, 2010
Messages
10
Re: gimbel bellow installation alpha 1 gen 2

I am refering to the groove in the gimble housing. I my kit that I go on ebay also had this round o-ring like piece. When I get home I will try to the the picture of this and posted
 

JWebber

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Joined
Oct 21, 2008
Messages
137
Re: gimbel bellow installation alpha 1 gen 2

Thats the seal that seats on the bellows retainment ring sleeve and of lip, when putting the drive back on with the gasket for gimble housing you need to glue that seal inplace let the glue set for 10 mins then put a lite amount of 2-4-c on it then put drive back on.

Is this what your talking about? ignore the first pic of the drible valve.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0476ee.jpg
    IMG_0476ee.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 1
  • drive-view.jpg
    drive-view.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 1
  • drive-two.jpg
    drive-two.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0476 copy.jpg
    IMG_0476 copy.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 0

90stingray

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Joined
Oct 26, 2010
Messages
1,162
Re: gimbel bellow installation alpha 1 gen 2

I am refering to the groove in the gimble housing. I my kit that I go on ebay also had this round o-ring like piece. When I get home I will try to the the picture of this and posted

Please tell me you didn't buy the $80 bellows kit off ebay... I would only use quicksilver/ merc parts when talking bellows. The cheapies may get you a few weeks or the rest of the season at most. Just a heads up.
 

sport2246

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Sep 2, 2010
Messages
10
Re: gimbel bellow installation alpha 1 gen 2

Yes that is correct part #7. I am doing this for the first time and I could not find any reference as to how it fits. The old one was cemented in the groove so when I removed the old sleeve and old bellow I found it. So I understand completelly. Apply cement the lip of the bellow in the groove and then press in the retainer sleeve. Bellow lip should be seated in the groove. The cement the rubber ring (part 7) to the top of the sleeve and wall of the housing.

Do I have the process correct?

sport
 

JWebber

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Joined
Oct 21, 2008
Messages
137
Re: gimbel bellow installation alpha 1 gen 2

Sounds good to me! that big o ring seal seats just above and or near the bellow sleeve on that tiny surface lip. Also glue the water passage hole o ring into place. I also put two small dabs of glue on backside of the gimble housing flat gasket to hold her in place while trying to seat the drive back onto the bolt studs, it helps to keep the gasket still and centered at best. But yea you got it!
 

sunbird1986

Recruit
Joined
Aug 12, 2013
Messages
3
Re: gimbel bellow installation alpha 1 gen 2

Thats the seal that seats on the bellows retainment ring sleeve and of lip, when putting the drive back on with the gasket for gimble housing you need to glue that seal inplace let the glue set for 10 mins then put a lite amount of 2-4-c on it then put drive back on.

Is this what your talking about? ignore the first pic of the drible valve.

THANK YOU!!!!!

I just installed my new SEI116 OMC Conversion and could not figure out where to put this, yeah it su#@$'s to pull the outdrive but I always learn the hard way.
 

ktbarrentine

Lieutenant
Joined
Dec 12, 2011
Messages
1,296
Re: gimbel bellow installation alpha 1 gen 2

Oh, by the way... it's called a "bellows" (yes, even just one is a bellows....just like a fireplace bellows).... "Bellow" is the sound you make when you have to replace one!!:eek:
 
Top