Gimbal Bearing Stiff

Oskarol

Cadet
I have a volvo penta Sx-C1 drive. I replaced my gimbal bearing after getting water in the bellows. The replacement is a Sierra 18-2100.

Pounded the bearing in, could tell it was seated, aligned it with the alignment tool. Pumped it full of grease.

I was about to put the drive back on when I figured I would try spinning the bearing one last time. The brand new bearing is fairly stiff!! I can get it to spin by sticking my finger through but it is quite tight - I could not get it to spin until I cleaned the grease off to get a better grip. While it takes a bit of force to spin it, it feels smooth. The old bearing I pulled spun much more freely than this, though it had a rough spot. Does it just need to run a bit to loosen up or do I have an issue? When I see youtube videos, it seems that people can spin them with 1 finger on the front of the bearing, mine certainly can't do that.

It is freezing cold here but can't imagine that would make that much of a difference. Tried searching and couldn't find an answer. Sorry if it is a silly question as i am new to working on boats.

Last edited:

Oskarol

Cadet
Anyone? If I'm being silly, just let me know and I'll move on with assembly.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Anyone? If I'm being silly, just let me know and I'll move on with assembly.
If the grease is really cold it will be stiff. Assuming you only drove it in aganst the outer race you should be fine, likely just a lot of grease. From what i understand this is why OEMs have gone to lubed for life bearings , people can over grease them , with too much grease they get covered and cannot dissipate heat. I put like 6 pumps a year in mine while the engine is idling to make sure grease gets spread throughout bearing.

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
I`ve never installed one that was free spinning with a finger flick like a skate wheel. I think as long as it is smooth rolling you should be fine.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Pounded the bearing in, could tell it was seated, aligned it with the alignment tool. Pumped it full of grease.

Please elaborate on the tool used to install it

Oskarol

Cadet
I used an alignment tool with the bearing installer.

As I was pounding it in, the tool was bouncing around but I tried to seat it each time before hitting it again. I am pretty sure I was only hitting the outer ring.

Again, bearing will turn if gripped with ny fingers, but you really do have to grip it and turn.

Based on comments before, I certainly put a lot more grease in than perhaps necessary. Wiped it off the face but the small space between the seal and the bearing is full of freezing cold grease.

kingsfisherman

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I used an alignment tool with the bearing installer.

As I was pounding it in, the tool was bouncing around but I tried to seat it each time before hitting it again. I am pretty sure I was only hitting the outer ring.

Again, bearing will turn if gripped with ny fingers, but you really do have to grip it and turn.

Based on comments before, I certainly put a lot more grease in than perhaps necessary. Wiped it off the face but the small space between the seal and the bearing is full of freezing cold grease.
oskarol, did you get it figured out? I am installing a new gimbal bearing and encounter similar resistance and figured it is due to not checking the engine alignment prior to pulling the old gimbal out. I also read in the service manual to "make sure the gimbal bearing is properly aligned" prior to adjusting the engine mounts I assume that's referring to making sure the bearing is seated correctly? Anyway did you end up adjusting your engine?

Oskarol

Cadet
Mine was definitely fully seated and aligned. The issue I had was that it was a little stiff when turning it by hand. I think it was due to a little too much really cold grease.

Unclear if I have a problem. I reinstalled the drive but it is still too cold here to run it.

kingsfisherman

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Mine was definitely fully seated and aligned. The issue I had was that it was a little stiff when turning it by hand. I think it was due to a little too much really cold grease.

Unclear if I have a problem. I reinstalled the drive but it is still too cold here to run it.
so you had good engine alignment?

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Did you perhaps damage the outer casing, when putting it in ?

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
I think your cold sticky grease is making it hard to turn if the bearing was installed correctly. You can get some of the grease out from behind the bearing by wiping some out with a finger.

Oskarol

Cadet
I think your cold sticky grease is making it hard to turn if the bearing was installed correctly. You can get some of the grease out from behind the bearing by wiping some out with a finger.

I think you are right. I put everything back together, installed the drive, and expect no issues come my first day back on the water for the season. Will report back if otherwise.