Gimbal Bearing, Sealed or Greasable

evantful

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi, Im going about replacing my Gimbal Bearing on a DP-SM Drive (SX-M TSK Transom)

I ordered Volvo's current Part revision: [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]21752712[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]​I had read somewhere that Volvo switched to a sealed bearing design, but when I received mine it still had a hole on the side of the race like the old bearing did.

Can anyone confirm for me is the
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]21752712 Gimbal Bearing is a Sealed or is it still grease-able?[/FONT]

evantful

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Just to follow up with new info I have found.

I talked to a few Volvo Penta Parts guys and finally got ahold of Tom, Parts Manager of Boats By George (Lake George NY). He has been pretty helpful clearing this up. It seems this is a new part and most of the parts guys had never even seen it prior to pulling the box from the shelf when I asked.

It seems 21752712 is in fact a serviceable Gimbal Bearing produced by SKF, and replaces Part# 3888555 (which was the Sealed Gimbal Bearing, and replaced the original greasable gimbal bearing part). This is only for drives that originally came with grease-able bearings.

So for anyone who wants to buy the Volvo part, they are infact selling a new serviceable Gimbal Bearing.

Just for reference, it is not the same bearing being used by Sierra. The design is very different, and frankly I think Sierra is no longer using Link Belt bearings like Don S said. The design of the Sierra Bearing I purchased is different from the original OEM Volvo Link Belt bearing I had and no longer features the Link Belt and USA stamping.

Last edited: