Getting bigger motor, strengthen transom?

70johnson

Cadet
I sold my 70HP Johnson and will be putting on a 90HP Mercury from my Dad's boat. His transom is 3" thick. My transom is 2" thick. Do I need to strengthen the transom because of 20 more HP and additional weight? My transom is solid.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral
Re: Getting bigger motor, strengthen transom?

My old transom was 1 inch thick ply with 1/2 inch thick outer glass, and it had a 125 horse motor on it. I rebuilt it and the wood is now 1 3/8 inch thick (total outer measurement close to two inches), same motor, no problems. If you have a strong two inch transom, you'll be fine with a 90 horse Merc. Just make sure you are within the horsepower limit of the boat.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

What is your boat rated for, 70Johnny?<br /><br />If there is no rating plate, check the USCG site for homebuilders to rate their boats. They will explain how to determine the max safe HP.<br /><br />My guess is that you will be okay with the 90Merc, but don't bet your life on my guess.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

70johnson

Cadet

Well...... according to USCG site, my boat is rated for 64 HP. Too funny. It performed OK with the 70HP Johnson. There is no rating sticker on the boat. As far as the 90HP Merc. I believe it is all in how responsible you drive it. I don't rip through turns in the St. Johns river or plow into waves of other boats at full throttle, but when the afternoon summer storms come out of nowhere, I like to outrun them back to the ramp. :eek:

70johnson

Cadet

Correction, I went out and measured. The formula says the boat is rated to 94.8 HP. :D :D :D

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

Slap 'er on, and post some pics...

graphicjunkie

Seaman

That link doesn't work. Can someone post the calculation mentioned so I can check out my boat?

Thanks!

steve riddell

Seaman

Welcome to iboats
I agree with the Rest, You will be fine!! If not You will have a fun little project to do. Pics would be cool.