Getting a smooth finish on paint...what did I do wrong?

Racingman24

Petty Officer 2nd Class
It's finally time to get to laying the paint on the boat.

Here's what I've done so far...

Scrubbed 'er down with 50/50 water/vinegar
Shot it with 7222 Zinchrom Prime from Napa
Rolled on 2 layers of rustoleum primer, didn't tip [am I supposed to with prime?]
Rolled on first layer of color today, and tipped as I went.

As I'm looking at it, I'm thinking that I should have taken a more "automotive" approach to it, as opposed to painting the walls of my house, which is what it feels like I'm doing.

As of right now, it looks like one of the walls in my house, and I'm thinking that would be because my lack of sanding the primer when it was dry? Would this be a correct assumption, or am I just making an *** out of myself?

If I was supposed to sand, can I still just sand down the first color coat until smooth? And what grid paper should I use? DA work best, or just hand sand?

It's not terrible right now, it just looks like either an interior wall or a paint job with a TON of orange peel.

On the bright side, this is just the interior, as I want the exterior to be as perfect as possible. If the interior has a few imperfections, I'm ok with that....kinda. :)

What advice do the great ones of Iboats have for me???

:D

jonesg

Admiral
Re: Getting a smooth finish on paint...what did I do wrong?

Yeh you shoulda sanded it.
Its up to you now, go back over it with a sander or go boating.
I'd go boating and see if it drives you nuts later.:D

DukesFin

Chief Petty Officer

Yep... The key to a good paint job is all in the prep and that means a LOT of cleaning and even MORE sanding.

You sand it, then clean it (getting any loose debris from sanding off as well as any other contaminates that may have found their way to the primer), then lay on whatever coat of paint you are using next. After that coat, repeat.

As far as what grit to use, it really depends on what paint you are using and each one usually has a recommended grit for between coats. I think I used 220 on mine, but I'm not positive.

As said before, you can sand it down and then put your finish coats on (sanding in between) or leave it as it is and go boating.

I'd caution you this though... What you are calling orange peel... If the "dimples" let any water in them, you're going to see your paint start to blister or peel.

The sanding in between coats does two things: Makes it look prettier and more importantly, the more smooth and uniform your coats are, the better it seals from the environment.

Good luck! Got any pictures???

Kenwho

Recruit

You did the same thing I did my first go around with painting. I used Interlux primer, and 1 Part Topside paint.

I put the primer on and didn't tip, or sand. I put the 1 part topside paint on, tipped, and when it dried it had really bad orange peel like texture. I spent 2 days sanding it, and then actually tipped/sanded the primer, and it came out like new.

It wouldn't be so bad, but the paint is costing me 76.50 a can(WHOLESALE price btw). Learning my lesson costs me money.. ouch!

Andy in NY

Commander

my paint job was a 2 day quickie to make it look a little better... no primer, just topside paint rolled with a closed cell foam roller and not tipped. came out with tons of orange peel... but i can live with it. definatly sand between coats and roll/tip or spray for a professional looking job.

Racingman24

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Looks like I'll be going to buy a DA and a bunch of sand paper...

I'm using Rustoleum Topside, so should 220 be good to get it nice and smooth?

What about the primer? should that be done with 220 as well? I still have the entire exterior to do, and that I want to be perfect.

But as far as the interior...Should I just go after it with 220 'til it's smooth, then roll and tip away?

And what are most people using for the tip part? I bought a pack of cheapy foam "brushes" [if you can even call them that] upon reading about some other people on here. Is that a good route, or would there be an even better one?

Kenwho

Recruit

I started with something rough (120grit).. Fixed holes, etc, then used 400grit. I put on primer, and sanded any type of orange peel, bumps, etc down. (I think I used 800 for that )..

Then I did my topside coats.

Make sure you clean the area really well. A little spec of dirt WILL show up.

When I rolled I used foam. It worked great. When I tipped I tried both foam, and normal bristle brush.

Use the bristle brush in my opinion. If you push on the foam brush it leaves air bubbles in the paint even after you go over it.

cc190cc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

120 seems way to course for between coats, i would use 300 or 400 if you wanna keep it smooth without sand scratches.

Chad

Racingman24

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks guys!

I went and picked up a DA and gonna get to sanding today.

Any other opinions on what grid to use?

geedubcpa

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would da with 120-200, but before painting I would wetsand with 400 grit.

The 120-200 will help knock down the orange peel you are seeing, but its too course for the final paintjob - so do a thorough wetsanding job with 400 grit before laying down the paint.

Also consider purchasing a HLVP spray gun - its not that hard to learn to use a spray gun and you get a nicer finish.