Generac Generator 17kw Guardian Series- runs constantly

massimofinance

Chief Petty Officer
Free standing, outside unit that comes on automatically to power the house when I lose power. During last weeks NE snowstorm, it came on, although we didn’t lose power. I went outside and opened the cover and shut the switch to off. It’s (On, Off, Automatic). I just went outside now, (we still have power) and flipped it back to Automatic; it started up and still wont shut off. I just did the maintainence myself (changed the oil, filter, plug) last June. Any idea what this could be? Thanks...

alldodge

Staff member

KD4UPL

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I agree. There are 2 fuses in the transfer switch, one for each phase. If either one is blown the generator thinks there's a power outage. Check for 240v AC leaving the fuse block. You may have 3 fuses, one of them is probably for a block heater or battery charger.

massimofinance

Chief Petty Officer
I agree. There are 2 fuses in the transfer switch, one for each phase. If either one is blown the generator thinks there's a power outage. Check for 240v AC leaving the fuse block. You may have 3 fuses, one of them is probably for a block heater or battery charger.
Thanks! I do have three fuses. I bought new one (3 for $25- wow!) and will kill power to the transfer switch and swap all three out. Hope that does it!. I do have a question however- what could have caused the fuse to blow in the first place? Should I be looking for a more fundamental issue? Fuses dont just “go bad”, do they?

alldodge

Staff member
Before you swap the fuses, remove and check each one with a meter on the ohms scale. Need to find out IF one is blown. If one is blown then you need to find out what caused it to blow. That needs to be fixed before installing another fuse because it will just blow again.

It really sounds like you might need to call in a electrician

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
Sorry to hear about your problems.
You spend big bucks and expect a quality product.

I don't know what your problem could be, but excuse me while I rant a bit...

My mother-in-law has practically the same unit. Her's is 18kw.

In our area, Generac service is practically nil. (Pocono Mountains of Pennsylvania)

We've had problems with that generator.
Luckily it was still under warranty when the main board had to be replaced. It was real difficult finding someone to come to do the replacement.

Then a couple years later the battery charger crapped out. I added a Noco charger/maintainer which I plugged into a nearby gfci on the house.

If I were in the market myself, I don't think I would buy Generac. It's a big popular name brand, but in my experience, they are unreliable.

Good luck and I hope you find the problem.

KD4UPL

Senior Chief Petty Officer
You're right, fuses don't just go bad. It's hard to say what may have happened. A mouse or squirrel chewing up some wires, a wiring harness abrading on a vibrating engine edge, a shorted out control board somewhere, etc.