Gen 2 ccw rotation confusion / lower unit shift lever install...

Ok im totally confused, if someone could straighten me out I would greatly appreciate it. I have a gen 2 ccw rotation out drive I have looked at all the videos available but I can't find one that really helps me. Here's the issue first when removing and installing you should be in wot forward right? Second- I had replaced the lower shift shaft and seals I watched a video on how to remove it and they said just pull it out well what they didn't say is it can go back in anyway it wants so make sure to mark it in some fashion. So I'm not sure does it turn cw to lock first gear or does it turn ccw to lock first gear? Next in adjusting shift cables do you stat in forward wot to get 6 inches and shift to reverse wot to aling the control cable ? If Criss reads this Could he do a video on ccw outdrives? thanks for any input.

Fun Times

Staff member
Alpha Models - Drive Unit Installed IMPORTANT: Shift cable adjustment for a right hand (RH) rotation drive unit is different than the procedure for adjusting a left hand (LH) rotation drive unit. Be sure to refer to the appropriate procedure when performing the following steps. IMPORTANT: Drive unit must be installed.
Alpha Models
1. Position bell housing shift shaft coupler so that slot in coupler is positioned straight fore and aft. Do this by placing remote control shift lever in: FORWARD gear position for RH drive or REVERSE gear position for LH drive unit.
GASOLINE STERNDRIVE INSTALLATION MANUAL Sterndrive …

Alpha Models - Drive Unit Installed IMPORTANT: Shift cable adjustment for a right hand (RH) rotation drive unit is different than the procedure for adjusting a left hand (LH) rotation drive unit. Be sure to refer to the appropriate procedure when performing the following steps. IMPORTANT: Drive unit must be installed.
Alpha Models
1. Position bell housing shift shaft coupler so that slot in coupler is positioned straight fore and aft. Do this by placing remote control shift lever in: FORWARD gear position for RH drive or REVERSE gear position for LH drive unit.
GASOLINE STERNDRIVE INSTALLATION MANUAL Sterndrive …
Thank you this does answer part of my question and is very helpful.

I needed to change the shift shaft housing and seals for the ccw alpha one gen 2 in doing so I was not aware there were not any alignment marks nor did I make any so what is the correct way to put the shaft back in? Thanks for your input.

Fun Times

Staff member
With this project your going to need the service manual to help get this back together which I was able to locate one for you as section 3-C covers the left hand rotation.

See manual pages 3C-58 (<Web page 312) + 3C-63 (Web Page 317), https://drive.google.com/file/d/1k0hINF1Aq3ch-67R9xTXhnqFB1Tosj6T/view

Some Highlight Notes:
It is possible to remove and service the shift shaft assembly (but not the shift crank inside the gear case) without removing any of the internal components of the gear housing....Try not to turn anything but if something did move or you got lost along the way then you'll have to follow a step or two as if you removed everything.
1. Remove the shift
Place the shift crank onto the locating pin in the forward section of the gear housing. Ensure that the shift crank faces toward the left (port) side of the gear housing.

Install the shift shaft and bushing assembly into the gear housing as shown. Position the bent end of the shift shaft forward while installing it and ensure that the splined end of the shift shaft is engaged with the shift crank. Make sure that the O-rings are present and positioned properly. Install the screws and tighten to hold the shift shaft into the shift crank.

With this project your going to need the service manual to help get this back together which I was able to locate one for you as section 3-C covers the left hand rotation.

See manual pages 3C-58 (<Web page 312) + 3C-63 (Web Page 317), https://drive.google.com/file/d/1k0hINF1Aq3ch-67R9xTXhnqFB1Tosj6T/view

Some Highlight Notes:
It is possible to remove and service the shift shaft assembly (but not the shift crank inside the gear case) without removing any of the internal components of the gear housing....Try not to turn anything but if something did move or you got lost along the way then you'll have to follow a step or two as if you removed everything.
1. Remove the shift
Place the shift crank onto the locating pin in the forward section of the gear housing. Ensure that the shift crank faces toward the left (port) side of the gear housing.

Install the shift shaft and bushing assembly into the gear housing as shown. Position the bent end of the shift shaft forward while installing it and ensure that the splined end of the shift shaft is engaged with the shift crank. Make sure that the O-rings are present and positioned properly. Install the screws and tighten to hold the shift shaft into the shift crank.
Thank you very much for this info!!

I suppose this is an indication of a worn control shift cable, (the lowers have been replaced) to adjust the shift cable I had to deviate from the manuals procedure and do a little (or alot) of tweeking. How many have done this untill the cables can be replaced?