Gelcoat repair

Gonefishing85

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Im looking to repair this damage. The glass itself is undamaged. Im thinking on just using a gelcoat paste such as evercoat gel paste. Before I buy products, is there a better way?

Attachments

• photo336125.jpg
    photo336125.jpg
    482.4 KB · Views: 3

tpenfield

Staff member
Gelcoat paste would be the way to go. Not rocket science, but you may want to get the color match (Spectrum Gelcoat Colors), or a color matching 'kit', which Evercoat has.

Since it is a double-curve surface, you may need to do a bit of sanding to shape and fair it with the surrounding areas. Get 220, 400, 600, 800, 1000, 1500, 2000 grit wet/dry sand papers to make it look perfect.

Gonefishing85

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Gelcoat paste would be the way to go. Not rocket science, but you may want to get the color match (Spectrum Gelcoat Colors), or a color matching 'kit', which Evercoat has.

Since it is a double-curve surface, you may need to do a bit of sanding to shape and fair it with the surrounding areas. Get 220, 400, 600, 800, 1000, 1500, 2000 grit wet/dry sand papers to make it look perfect.

Thank you. I was not concerned with an exact color match at this point. I just went with generic white. Due to being a 32 year old boat with weathered and faded gel, the spectrum likely wouldn't blend so well anyway. I also plan on making an ugly, thick and permanent keel guard out of fiberglass and polyestering it on. Just fyi this is a 24' ocean fishing boat so looks come second to function and safety.

harringtondav

Commander
Antifouling paint will cover it, or do you not keep it in the water?

Paint is a great idea in this location. Interlux and others make good boat paints. You could mask off this area, sand and shoot a couple of coats to get a thicker layer that will last longer. Sprayed paint would self level and look fairly good.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I would patch it with gel, then get a keel guard to keep you from bouncing the boat off the trailer