Gelcoat How-to?

Sergi

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi There,

Today I made my first try on gelcoat at the ski locker and the result was a complete disaster. Can someone point me to a good how-to? I was searching the forum but didn't find anything (bad connectio thou)
I'm talking on aplying the gel to the boat interior, on the deck.
I was so animated after seeing the roll&tip video and after the mess I realized that it was for paint. :embarassed:

Thanks!

Trooper82

Commander
Re: Gelcoat How-to?

I used a roller on my gastank locker and the deck....like you I had not done my homework....I found out that it is best to use PVA after you roll the gelcoat....the PVA just sprays or brushes on, seals out the air so it cures....I left some skin from the bottom of bare feet on my deck....I was trying to keep it clean....if it isn't cured right it does not matter...it holds everything to it....dirt, skin, lint from pants etc....

mwe-maxxowner

Master Chief Petty Officer

Did you mean to post a link wood? I'm interested in this as well. Wanna make my gel coated deck purdy too!

Decker83

Commander

I think Friscoboater did a youtube on his deck that he rolled.. Also in his thread on Here I go again!! 1995 Sea Ray 220 Signature Deck and Stringer Restoration ..

I did some rolling on the inside of my hull.. Use a 6" roller and a small paint tray.. I used the U S Composites gel coat..
I rolled the first coat out with no wax in it and let it set for about an hour and went back with a second coat with wax.. It cured fine..
I do know it would have needed more coats than 2 for a deck finnish..

Do not use the wax until the final coat.. Do not try to mix up to much gel at one time.. It will kick off fast... I did about a quart at a time. It will not cover like paint does and looks like its bleeding through on the first coats..

Don't worry about the bleeding just keep adding more coats and it will look awesome.. Also do some research about adding some type of texture for a non slip finnish..

Put up some pics please..:D

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Its more than that .. you have to cover any nonskid prior to the application of new nonskid ( paint or gel ) ..

Good luck man..

YD.

mwe-maxxowner

Master Chief Petty Officer

If it turns out like poo, it can always be sanded and buffed later to get better results, no?

Decker83

Commander

Its more than that .. you have to cover any nonskid prior to the application of new nonskid ( paint or gel ) ..

Good luck man..

YD.

Yacht Dr is 1 of the pro's here on i-boats.. He has volumes of information on the how to's of gel coat.. He helped me out a whole lot..
You should pick his brain about the gel..

You can always sand and buff.. Not my ideal of having fun..:lol: