Gas tank size in gallons

INJUN

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have exhausted all sites that I'm aware of in finding out how much gas this boat holds.

1979 Grady White 185 Challenger

It has an O/B and a single bildge tank. I can not trust the fuel guage anymore:mad:
I checked out NADA, iboats and other sites via web searches with no help. The next step would be to uncover the tank, make measurments and calc the volume, but I'm at work and can't do that from here.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

flashback

Captain
Re: Gas tank size in gallons

On a boat that old, I think the best way would be to either pump or run it dry and then fill it up.

INJUN

Petty Officer 1st Class

I put 10 gals in, the fuel gauge stated it was full and went fishing. I ran out of fuel 500 feet from ramp after a day of fishing. So, it is now dry. I wonder how much she holds, so I'll have an idea of how much $ it will take to fill it to the max.

I hope to get a resource here, that will show me where to look.

Here is what happened:
I only hope that it was the gas, because when she stopped, I turned the key and she wouldn't even turn over (I guess she was still in gear). Then I tried again (after shifting the throttle back and forth - out of gear) and it started up and got me to the ramp. Once I was there, I let her run at a fast idle while I tied her up, then turned it off after a few minutes. I immediately tried to start her again but all she did was turn over.

I'm not going to change the gear in the tank, from now on I'm just going to be more aware of gas useage and fill up after each outing.

INJUN

Petty Officer 1st Class

WOW! That's what I talking about!!!

WHAT A GREAT SITE!!!

Thanks guys.

Now all I need is $130 to fill her up:eek:

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

WOW! That's what I talking about!!!

WHAT A GREAT SITE!!!

Thanks guys.

Now all I need is $130 to fill her up:eek:

You've got it easy. My main tank is 92 gallons and my reserve is an addtional 52 gallons.

That's $580 to fill mine up :D

Ron-O

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Still wondering what size my tank is since I bought the boat last year :eek:... Since mine is below deck and no markings on the tank by the deck lid, I keep a close eye on the gauge. So far no problem..(fingers crossed)

Ron

1991 Cheetah 2000LS

INJUN

Petty Officer 1st Class

Flashbk, the PO gave me all of the repair reciepts including his PO's. It looks like the deck hasn't been touched.
Thanks.