Gas/oil mix running down midsection/lower unit

denlou

Seaman
I'm pretty sure this has been asked before but my search turned up nothing.

I checked the carb floats and all my fuel lines and their all good, floats adjusted properly.
This is not a small amount, midsection is pretty much covered and it puddles on the cavitation plate.
1986 Johnson 150 j150tlcdc.
It's the day after use that I notice it and yes the boat is trailered so the motor is tilted up for travel.
Please tell me this is not normal.

Thanks

emoney

Commander
Re: Gas/oil mix running down missection/lower unit

Most likely it's normal. Take and then post a pic, but unspent fuel does have a tendency to leak out.

Will Bark

Lieutenant

No, it is not normal but my 1987 150 has been doing this for two years; I was told that it is a gasket between powerhead and exhaust tube and it is unburned fuel/oil mix that would normally go out the exhaust in prop. Too much $ to worry about it now since I got a purchase order from the finance director to get a new/newer rig.:D

denlou

Seaman

Mine is leaking from the cowling just below the powerhead which I'm assuming is from tilting the motor up, gas running out of carbs.

I can't believe this is normal, I just picture someone buying this motor brand new in 1986 and the dealer saying the gas/oil mix running down the lower unit is normal :facepalm:

clemsonfor

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Its prolly the fuel leaking out of the carbs through leaky gaskets as you have the motor tipped up maybe? Leaking fuel is not normal or good, can cause a fire. Trust me its leaking as your running its just being washed away by the water. I would look for the source by having the motor off and squeezing primer to see any leaks.

emoney

Commander

If there's that much coming out, then you probably need to follow the leak line and find out where it's coming from. I just noticed the "covers the midsection" comment and that makes it sound like a lot. Is this something that just started and what changed?

denlou

Seaman

If there's that much coming out, then you probably need to follow the leak line and find out where it's coming from. I just noticed the "covers the midsection" comment and that makes it sound like a lot. Is this something that just started and what changed?

This is new, the first few times out the amount of fuel was minimal which I attributed to leaking out the carbs when motor is tilted up.
When I pulled the hood off yesterday the gas/oil coated the inside of the cowling and the powerhead was coated with a fine mist.

Geez, I just noticed we're neighbors, New Port Richey here.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

You might pull the fuel pump and squeeze the primer bulb. If you see gas squirting out of the hole on the back of the fuel pump, then you have a puntured diaphram.

emoney

Commander

What a small world. Zephyr's already given you great advice since the "mist" was under the cowling like that, looks to be something at least near the fuel pump. Where do you put in at, Gulf Harbor's?

denlou

Seaman

What a small world. Zephyr's already given you great advice since the "mist" was under the cowling like that, looks to be something at least near the fuel pump. Where do you put in at, Gulf Harbor's?

I found it !
The fuel line going to the primer solenoid was leaking, quite a bit from the coating on my powerhead.

Thanks for your help guys.

I normally put in at Anclote Park.
Funny I was headed up your way on Friday before the chop got too much for me to bother with.

Thanks again

emoney

Commander

Good for you on the find. And yeah, the chop's been a little rough in the past week or so. Sure will put a beating on you when you're just out cruising. I cut last weekend's trip out short because the wife was starting to get sore from all the bouncing, lol.

I used to have a sailboat that I kept at Anclote at a private marina up the river nearer to Tarpon. Fighting that "drift" on the way back on the trailer is a blast, isn't it?

denlou

Seaman

"Drift" ? That's an understatement.
It's especially nice when it's busy and you get the boat wakes coming off the river and the crazies that have to gun it as soon as they clear the dock.
We're both fortunate that we're retired and go out mostly during the week, alot less boats but the current is always there.

On rare occasion we'll put in at Main Street which is alot nicer but a long ride to the Gulf.
Yea last Friday I gave up trying to convince the wife the chop was all part of the joy of boating and headed in early.

Ran it on the muffs this afternoon and not a hint of a leak.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

I can't wait to take my girl out on the boat. She loves that sort of thing. :D:D