Gas electric generator issues

lgaytan

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi I have an small gas powered electric generator, it is a 2 cycle motor, I hadn't used it in a couple of years, I couldn't get it to start up so I inspected and see that it had old gas there, fuel was not flowing, the float needle was stuck up so it didn't started. I Cleaned the carb got new fuel and got it flowing, now the generator starts up but only with the choke closed, if I open the choke it dies, it can run with out dying or flooding with the choke on, what do you think is wring with this? Still some jets clogged or something like that? Should talke a look again to the carbs?

Regards

alldodge

Staff member
Most likely is carb is still a bit clogged. Another option is the tank fitting or fuel line could be an issue with a restriction

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
im going to go with you put it away full of fuel and now need to go thru the whole fuel system from the tank to the carb.

not idleing, or only running with the choke on is a plugged low-speed jet.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
The last two neglected motors I worked on were a pressure washer and a chainsaw. It took 3 carb cleanings to get 'em clean enough, mostly because the carbs are so cheaply built, it was hard to get the passages clean.

The pressure washer carb had an idle jet that would not come out of the main nozzle, for some reason. It was hard to clean it and the idle passages for that reason.

New carbs for either were the same price as a gasket set for the carb.

Sprig

Chief Petty Officer
That is a very common problem with generators and other small engines that sit for awhile. Super clean the carb again and obviously check or replace the spark plug. Also when you put gas in it use stabilizer.
If you want to avoid that problem in the future, do what I do. I start mine once a month and let it run for 5 minutes. I haven’t had any problems since I’ve been doing that. An “old” mechanic told me to do that and he was right.

lgaytan

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks will clean the carbs and get it running, this generator also has a fuel valve from the deposit to the carbs, so next time I use it instead of just shutting it off when I finish using it I will close that valve to get the carbs starve.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
It is best to store the carb dry and the fuel tank empty, with an oz of 2 cycle oil swished around in it, if you are not planning to use it in the near future. Leaving fuel in the tank causes it to spoil. Leaving fuel in the carb causes varnish, corrosion or both.

You will want your generator to be ready for the next power outage, w/o cleaning the carb.

lgaytan

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Cleaning the carbs again did the trick, now is working as new, will store it dry.

Thanks