Fuel

Jrato14

Seaman
This website has truly been a savior and it is amazing how knowledgeable everyone is. As you could tell from my other post I am kind of learning as I go with a used boat I bought last season. My latest problem is when I run my Volvo gxi 5.0 3869255 the engine starts right up then runs for 2-3 mins then I start to hear a loud pitch squeel and it shuts off but can be restarted without a problem. The high pressure fuel pump is hot and I believe it is where the noise is coming from. Should I just assume it needs to be replaced. As always thank you so much for any insight

Jrato14

Seaman
I am sure I sound like a fool but do you mean the entire fuel pump assembly like the pumps and filter

cyclops222

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Is that 1 of those crappy pumps with black paint SPRAYED INSIDE of the pump and filter elements ?

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
Check and make sure the fuel cell cooling lines are flowing properly. They can get clogged which can result in pumps overheating.

ESGWheel

Petty Officer 1st Class
Jrato14,
Here is a link to a comprehensive post about these fuel pumps. It also has other links for getting the pumps repaired, etc.
Hope this helps.