Fuel/water separator - When/How to change out?

Berninger349

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Jun 19, 2007
Messages
18
Bought my boat used last summer and the previous owner did not know anything about the fuel/water separator(filter) device. It has a clear section on the bottom with a drain on it. I know its purpose is to remove water from the fuel but how often do I drain off the water that collects in the bottom and how often do I change out the filter?
 

Windykid

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Joined
Apr 17, 2007
Messages
1,177
Re: Fuel/water separator - When/How to change out?

It should be drained daily before use. and changed before each season at least.
 

Windykid

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Joined
Apr 17, 2007
Messages
1,177
Re: Fuel/water separator - When/How to change out?

Is this on a diesel?
 

Windykid

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Joined
Apr 17, 2007
Messages
1,177
Re: Fuel/water separator - When/How to change out?

Excuse me I didnt realize what section I was in.
 

Berninger349

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Jun 19, 2007
Messages
18
Re: Fuel/water separator - When/How to change out?

It should be drained daily before use. and changed before each season at least.

Do i just open the drain and let the water out? or do I have to close off the fuel lines before draining?
 

Windykid

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Joined
Apr 17, 2007
Messages
1,177
Re: Fuel/water separator - When/How to change out?

Just open the drain and drain into a container or cup til you get clean fuel.
 
Top