Fuel tank testing??

newellchunker

Seaman
OK, I've got a 1987 Larson DC225 with an 85 gallon fuel tank, last time out I was smelling gas very strongly. I just removed the t-top, console and finally got the tank out today. NOW, how do I "pressure test" the tank to identify any problems. Of course I've never done anything like this and can use some pointers. Also, after I've tested the tank and replaced all my fuel lines should I seal the tank with anything and should I foam the tank in?? There was an enormous amount of water in with the tank when I finally got to her. Thanks

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Fuel tank testing??

don't foam it in, they have to have room to expand, i would do a leak down test on the tank. seal off you went line, ( you can just put a plug in the hose and use a ring clamp,) make a fitting,(home depot or hardware store) that will fit into the fill hose, reduce it down so you can put a pressure guage on it , and apply air pressure. not more that 15 lbs. let it sit, and see if the pressure drops. if it holds you have no leak in the tank.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I have to jump in on this..... A pressure test will work and it will work at a much lower pressure 2 - 3 PSI

Use dish soap mixed with water and spray the seams on the outside. A leak will appear fast.

I would not go to 15 PSI it can run the risk of splitting the tank and injury. I have seen less pressure bulge tanks. I work with air cannons and launchers and 15 PSI in an 85 gallon tank is alot.

A close inspection and a decision on how you are going to repair a leak you might find.

Buttanic

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I believe USCG regs test pressure is 4 psi. I definatly would not go higher.

bosavy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Actully we test car tanks at 25 h20 which is is only 2.5 psi whichhas to hold for 10mins. i used it and found a hole in my hose . gl

klos

Petty Officer 1st Class

3-5 PSI and the soap and water test I think would work the best. If the tank is aluminum I would have it tig welded, not sealed from the inside, it may flake off. If it is steel sheet metal construction do a search for gas tank renu. My company used to own one of these franchises. it works pretty good