Fuel Starvation at WOT, soft bulb????

oldyota

Cadet
So my prior post was on my 1975 75 hp about hesitation at WOT, so after re-cleaning and re-syncing the carb's the choke problem is fixed, but it is still bucking at WOT. So had my brother squeeze the bulb at full throttle and she ran fine. I have checked all of the fuel line and vacuum line off of the pump and I have no leaks. The fuel tanks are new and the vents are wide open, what else could be the problem...

Thanks,

Oldyota

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: Fuel Starvation at WOT, soft bulb????

The bulb doesn't stay hard when the engine is running. It is usually in a horizontal position and when the engine is running, the fuel will lower to the halfway/valve area of the primer bulb (normal) but the bulb will retain its normal appearance.

If however, the primer bulb goes flat, that indicates a fuel restriction between the bulb and the fuel supply.

If pumping the fuel primer bulb results in having the engine run as it should (acting as a manual fuel pump), and there are no air/fuel leaks between the fuel supply and the fuel pump, that indicates a faulty fuel pump.

Relliott

Seaman Apprentice

Check the fuel filter and see if their is any trash. If their is replace. If not I would guess you have a bad fuel pump.

oldyota

Cadet

So do I need to buy a new one or can take it apart and clean... Do they sell a rebuild kit for it? I've been to Doug Russell.com & shop.evinrude.com and they don't show a kit for it... Thanks everyone for responding.....

Relliott

Seaman Apprentice

Are you asking about the Fuel Filter or Fuel Pump?

oldyota

Cadet

So where do I get the rebuild kit for the fuel pump? Doug Russell doesn't list the part # that was on the rebuild link...

oldyota

Cadet

Thanks Relliott, I just ordered it.....

Relliott

Seaman Apprentice

Good luck. I hope that works. See you on the water!!