Fuel spitting out of carb

slowlysinkinginthebay

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Oct 22, 2015
Messages
12
I'm trying to figure out why my Johnson 1985 2 stroke is running ruff and dying on me so I took the cover off the carbs and there's fuel spitting out of the top carb !!!! Is there a clog somewhere not allowing the fuel to go where it's suppose to ? Maybe getting too much in the first place and spitting residual ? Please help. Thank you
 

racerone

Honorary Supreme Mariner
Joined
Dec 28, 2013
Messages
39,973
Model # required here.----May well be a float valve issue.
 

joeanna

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Joined
Jun 5, 2016
Messages
108
how are the reed valves? mine did that until I fixed the bad reed valve.
 

F_R

Honorary Supreme Mariner
Joined
Jul 7, 2006
Messages
28,226
Spitting while running or not running? If while serious spitting while running, suspect reed valve.
 

slowlysinkinginthebay

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Oct 22, 2015
Messages
12
I should have been more specific, when the 1985 Johnson 50hp. Engine is running at idle the fuel is spitting out of the thing that looks like a fuel jet right above the throat of the top carb
 

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Joined
Apr 3, 2002
Messages
9,612
I would pull off the offending carb and check/reset the float at least (level or with the outer edge slightly elevated with the top inverted). I eyeball them, setting them level. While the carb is off, you might as well disassemble and give it a good cleaning.
 

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Joined
Apr 8, 2014
Messages
8,343
1985 would be a 2 cylinder motor. It could be normal for the carb to spit like that. have you done a compression test.
 

54bobby

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Joined
Dec 12, 2010
Messages
181
mine wasn't starting and spitting fuel from the carb and the culprit was.
38406527_306317609940096_7828602933854863360_n.jpg
 

slowlysinkinginthebay

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Oct 22, 2015
Messages
12
Ok guys I appreciate your time , it is a 2 cyl. Btw. Just acquired it and jumping into unexplored territory so thanx
 
Top