Fuel sender question

marauder11

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I replaced my float type Mueller fuel sender. I put it in the same orientation as the old one. Still have the same issue. The gauge really doesn't move much. Before i installed i moved arm up and down and gauge moved fine. First use after replacing it moved to 3/4. I am thinking that maybe the arm is hitting a baffle in the tank.

I am wanting to move arm position. Can i do this without removing the sender? I know to loosen the middle nut and move in 90 degree increments.

NHGuy

Captain
You want the arm oriented so it can go through it's full range of travel without bumping anything. Normally that is as the previous installer placed it.
But if it's not telling the truth, install it so it works.
It's best to do that while there's a lesser amount of fuel in the tank. So run it down or remove some fuel if it's possible.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
You have to remove the sender to make any adjustments.... You also need to make sure that the range and height are set right.... Ie the pivot is halfway between top and bottom and the float arm is the right length so that full and empty are correct...

If, for example, the tank is 10" tall then the pivot point should be at 5", full at 10", and empty at 0" all measured from the bottom.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
You can adjust slightly if for example you want it to read empty at say 1/8 of a tank to help prevent running out..... If you were to show empty in the same 10" tank at 2" then the pivot would be at 6" from the bottom.... Always half way between empty and full.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Are you sure your gauge is working properly? Disconnect the 2 wires going to the sender and touch them together. The gauge should peg full.....

marauder11

Petty Officer 2nd Class
fuel gauge is working. I touched the wires and the gauge went full. I am not sure if i can turn the float anyways feels like there is a baffle in the way.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
fuel gauge is working. I touched the wires and the gauge went full. I am not sure if i can turn the float anyways feels like there is a baffle in the way.

marauder11, maybe the sender you selected won't work for your tank setup. But they do make another type that will work. Buy a reed sender setup and it will work perfectly. However, it is a little more expensive, but there are no arms to adjust or bend. But to have to purchased the one that is the right height for your tank. A reed sender looks like this:

They are available all over the place...

Last edited: