Fuel pumps do not shut off when tank full.

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade
OK lets see what you guys think. On our Monterey 214FS we are having an issue, or have had this issue since we bought it. When we fill the tank all the way up it spews back out the fill. The pump does not shut off when it is full, like on a car, or on our last boat. Monterey dealer says there is nothing we can do about it.

What do you guys think? I am not real fond of fuel blowing all over the side, and me. Not to mention the wasted fuel. We look like fools at the gas station, all standing around listening for the fuel to start coming up, so we can "catch" it before it spews out.

joed

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Fuel pumps do not shut off when tank full.

Sounds like an issue for the pump not the boat. Does it happen at different pumps?

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

I was thinking the same the fuel filler pump nozzle is not working right, by law it is suposto kick off.

Levinz11

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Mine does this too. I just watch the vent closely and listen for the fuel rushing up the fill hose. I have been splashed many times. I figured this was the case with all boats?

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I know (some) newer boats that have Diurnal fuel systems have shut-off mechanisms that will make the pump kick off like it does for a car. Most boats, however, are like portable fuel containers - you must pump with caution.

FWIW, my brand new 2012 boat will spit fuel back at you if you dont pay attention - and has a big sticker right near the helm stating that its exempt from Diurnal fuel system regulations for whatever reason.

BoatDrinksQ5

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have had this happen just once with my new Tahoe (out of three tries).... was warned about it at the dealer. :-/

I plan on being very conservative on my fills from now on.

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

OK so its not just me. Funny thing is that my 01 Tahoe Q7 did not do this. Occasionally it would come out the vent, but never out the fill. Oh and it does it at every single pump we use. Some are easier to "catch" than others, but it happens everywhere. I have just learned to only go to the ones that dont spew quite as much, or that I can hear it and stop. Oh well, was hoping for a solution.

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

For that matter, none of the many boats I owned before this one did it.

oldjeep

Admiral

My bayliner does it as well when pumping full blast. The fuel shoots out the vent before the pump kicks off.

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade

For that matter, none of the many boats I owned before this one did it.

I think it has to do with the tank/hose/deck fill port locations and configuration more then anything.

On my Stingray, it will do it but the boat has a long filler hose running to the tank so all I have to do is listen a little and I can hear it coming. If it had a shorter hose, I'm thinking I would be spraying myself with fuel more often.

My last boat had a topside deck fill port (rather then one almost horizontal like the stingray), and fuel would come out the seperate vent long before it would have spit back at me. The new boat has an integrated fill/vent port, so thats not a viable warning sign anymore.

hog88

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have the same problem with my Monterey 264, just have to fill slowly and listen. Had the same issue with my last boat a Fundeck 215.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

that's just what boats do. Another item on the long long list of differences between boats and cars.

And some marina's are hard-core about spills, even from splash-overs. Listen; fill slow; focus the whole time as if you are operating a flame thrower.

Ned L

Commander

As Home Cookin' said - That's just what boats do. They are designed, built, & 'safty'd' differently than cars.

BoatDrinksQ5

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think it has a lot to do with the large holes at the fill port for a boat where a car has a small hole for filling.

Could possibly retrofit a plastic cap thing to fit in there with a small hole.... hmm

I would think that would trigger the autostop easier?

JoLin

Vice Admiral

that's just what boats do. Another item on the long long list of differences between boats and cars.

Exactly. You're supposed to know how much fuel you need. Why would you try to fill the tank and fill hose to the brim? Not only are you hauling extra weight around, but you aren't leaving room for expansion. Tank should be no more than 90% filled. Spewing fuel into the water is just another of those things that make boaters an easy target for eco-regulation... and I use that water too, you know.

NONE of the boaters I know tell the guy at the fuel dock to 'fill 'er up.' We tell him how many gallons we're putting in. He watches the pump.

My .02

Levinz11

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I always think I look like a weirdo when filling my tank. I have one hand posted up on the transom...the other operating the nozzle...and my feet waaaay back behind me so I don't get gas all over my feet. Haha

Cowthief

Seaman

Just listen to it, don't have to stick your eyeballs down in the filler...

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Exactly. You're supposed to know how much fuel you need. Why would you try to fill the tank and fill hose to the brim? Not only are you hauling extra weight around, but you aren't leaving room for expansion. Tank should be no more than 90% filled. Spewing fuel into the water is just another of those things that make boaters an easy target for eco-regulation... and I use that water too, you know.

All fair if you have a large fuel tank, but guys with smaller tanks will understandably try to top them off. As far as expansion; the tank is vented. If you fill it up to the very brim and then let it sit in the heat or such so that it expands and runs out the vent, you're a little crazy... But most fill it up and then go use it.

An example, my last boat (15' trihull, 80hp merc) had a 12 gallon fuel tank. Not a removable topside tank - a permanantly fixed tank with a thru hull fill and vent. The fill hose was around a foot long, roughly. 12 gallons can go pretty quick on an inefficient old 2 stroke, so I would try to get it as close to full as possible. Sometimes, I misjudged or spaced a little and sent a few ounces out the vent.

Keep in mind that most small boats are not filled up on the water - they're filled at gas stations. So that spilled gasoline ends up on the concrete or pavement, and evaporates. I'm not saying go pump full-bore and spill fuel everywhere with reckless abandon, but lets not get all emotional about a little spillage either, these incidents arent the exxon-valdez.

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade

search around the forum. Bondo posted about an in vent line device that whistles while you fill and stops when its fixing to spew so you know when to quit. Looked like and excellent idea. I also guesstimate how much I have used and slow down when it gets close. Helps but doesn't stop it.