fuel pump

mrronstar

Cadet
my fuel pump appears to be bad can i replace it with electronic fuel pump from auto store as i cant find this one no were in existence. it is a dt55 suzuki 1986 model motor. RON

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: fuel pump

Apparently you haven't thought much about this huh? Electric fuel pumps on boats must be coast guard approved which auto pumps are not. Since your fuel pump is bad and pulse operated pumps are more reliable than electric anyway, why not fix what you have. Then back to the KABOOM factor. Every heard of a carburetor that that had a float stick or sink and let too much fuel into the engine? Or if there is fuel line leak? Guess what happens. The engine kills (in the first scenario) and you forget to turn off the key. The fuel pump continues to run pumping more fuel into the engine literally filling it up. You now try to restart and then if you are lucky, your friends get to visit you while you recover in the hospital. Electric fuel pumps need a safety switch to shut them off if the engine dies. EFI outboards with a computer can do that easily. Your DT has no ECM and there is no easy way to incorporate a safety cutoff. I don't mean to sound like a PIA here -- just giving you a very stern warning. Your plan is very unsafe.

mrronstar

Cadet

yeah silver i got the picture lol but i cant find parts no were for this ...it pulses but very week i can hold it back with little finger pressure

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

It does not take but a few #s of pressure to feed a carb. what is the problem you are trying to overcome?

mrronstar

Cadet

fuel pump is just spitting not good flow ....trying to get this b@$^%$ running tried everything its just a motor i build them all day long. found all the parts i need at brownspoint. as long as i shoot the premix in the carbs she runs and even revs but not on her own

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

Have you checked the fuel pressure and vacuum to see if there is a fuel pump or supply problem?or sucking air?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Squeezing the primer bulb is the very same thing your fuel pump does. Squeeze it until firm. Start the engine. If it dies, continue squeezing it to see if the engine stays running.

SparkieBoat

Captain

you cannot find a fuel pump rebuild kit for a 85 Suzuki?? that would be a pretty good reason to not buy a suzuki.

azboater2

Seaman

Those motors don't need much fuel pressure, I agree with others, sounds like another problem. Might have an air leak on the intake line. Please don't put an electric automotive fuel pump on your boat. It might pass a safety inspection (don't think I've seen that before on an outboard) unless it's below deck, like on a stern drive, but still, just look a bit harder.

B. Hershey
Technology & Communications Mgr., Yellow Cab Company
KF7BVO - EXTRA, Marine/Aviation/Radar: PG1137634
U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary 11S, D10-F7

lakensea

Chief Petty Officer

you cannot find a fuel pump rebuild kit for a 85 Suzuki?? that would be a pretty good reason to not buy a suzuki.

Pump kits are available (most good dealers keep at least one in stock) and complete pumps are available in Suzuki's parts distribution center. If the OP is convinced that is his problem, all he has to do is pay a visit to his local Suzuki dealer - I'm sure they would be happy to sell him all the parts that he probably does not need.

But I doubt that's the problem.

mrronstar

Cadet

i acually found ever part i need to rebuild the whole moter if need be but i guess i better tear down carbs again silvertip sent me that direction once i guess i done som ething wrong thanks guys will let you know more soon

SparkieBoat

Captain

Pump kits are available (most good dealers keep at least one in stock) and complete pumps are available in Suzuki's parts distribution center. If the OP is convinced that is his problem, all he has to do is pay a visit to his local Suzuki dealer - I'm sure they would be happy to sell him all the parts that he probably does not need.

But I doubt that's the problem.

I did a quick goggle check and could not find much for suzukis, it would sux to have to go to a dealer and pay %50-100 more for a part than what you could order it for.

lakensea

Chief Petty Officer

I did a quick goggle check and could not find much for suzukis, it would sux to have to go to a dealer and pay %50-100 more for a part than what you could order it for.

Original poster stated: "i cant find this one no were in existence" and I was just stating that the part is in existence and availble from any Suzuki dealer. Most dealers get their parts orders in about two days time from Suzuki's regional distribution centers.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

So you are willing to install a very dangerous electric pump and wiring that will likely cost you more than the kit from the dealer?? What are we talking about here -- $20 bucks and you know its the right part!!!!

SparkieBoat

Captain

yea i would take that risk any day...LOL just joking. Of course he should go to a dealer and get a rebuild kit. I was just commenting on the lack of sources for suzuki motor parts. I never have messed with them before. I think they are probably good motors, but the big 3 have many resources for parts which lowers the price and have readily available used parts when needed, also a large aftermarket part supply that can really save you $$$.. it was just an observation, that it would probably be a good idea to steer clear of these motors. I was kinda just thinking out loud, guess I should not type everything I think..lol I would be curious what the actual cost of the rebuild kit turns out to be..bet it will be way over $20.

lakensea

Chief Petty Officer

I would be curious what the actual cost of the rebuild kit turns out to be..bet it will be way over $20.

$19.41 plus a pump mounting gasket, if needed, for $2.77, and I have both in stock. So much for price and availability.

SparkieBoat

Captain

lol..well aint you just a Jim Dandy...that is a lower retail price than I thought it would be for sure..I was expecting something over $50..so I will take 2 please...ROFL
Have a great day, ronstar needs to get your info and order that kit.

mrronstar

Cadet

built my own carb kit guys fabricated my own float jet for the lower card took her out yesterday she runs like a top. amazing what you can do with a piece of stainless steel.