Steering problem

ForemanES

Recruit
This is a great forum and have read and searched a bunch here. I never really got an answer to my problem though...

I have an 81 ranger with a johnson 150 and I just replaced the steering cables with this kit (click here)

Now I got it all back together and the steering clicks both directions all the way left and right. I had to almost remove the tube on the upper cable just to get it in and think it needs adjusted. What do I need to do? Thanks :)

on edit.... The motor is free and smooth without cables connected

ForemanES

Recruit
Re: Steering problem

Thanks but I have read through instructions a few times. I just disconnected both racks from the pinion and re installed it and no changes. I pulled the cables around re routing them but still no change.

Does it matter which rack goes on the upper (closer to the wheel) and lower mounts? mmmmm might try that out.

Im just at a loss cuz its all new stuff and its the part giving me problems.

Like I said before..... its like you can feel every gear throughout the entire steering range and it kinds clicks over every one.

ForemanES

Recruit
Re: Steering problem

Called up pretech and I needed washers between the rack and helm to loosen it up a little bit. I got it all back together and it works much better. Hope this helps someone out down the road.