Fuel pump whine

saaristo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My Volvo Penta fuel pump is doing a lot of whine. It's a 2008 4.3 gxi. The pumps are running cool, about the same temperature as everything else in the engine bay. I have checked the screens, replaced the E-clip instead of screen to the fuel pressure regulator, cooling passages are clean, engine runs and accelerates etc etc. But the sound is horrible. Also I can't tell if it is HP or LP pump doing the noise - can anyone comment which one it usually is and what else would be worth to check?
Noise can be heard in the google link here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/ciwNksEBP3UA3cZN8

Thanks for all input you can give!

saaristo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I should add that just recently I disassembled the whole fuel cell because of that whining noise, no loose paint there but still removed the paint from inside. While it was apart I also tested both pumps separately with 12 volts and they were quiet like a whisper. Assembled everything back together and it screams like hell.

dubs283

Vice Admiral
While it was apart I also tested both pumps separately with 12 volts and they were quiet like a whisper. Assembled everything back together and it screams like hell.
Could be a restriction up or down stream of the pump assy. First check for me would be tank pick up and anti siphon valve, then work my way to the pump. If all is good try a new water separator. After that if still noisy check after the pump, fuel rail/injectors. If there is no runnability issue it's possible one or both of the pumps is failing under load. Not uncommon for Volvo

stouchton

Seaman Apprentice
I just wanted to add that I had a loud whine on a 4.3gxi-e shortly before failure. I probably put 5 hours on it while it was whining - I was being an idiot and trying to convince myself it sounded normal! I put one of those $200 knock off fuel cells on it while I rebuild the original fuel cell.

So I would expect yours to fail soon.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Might want to run it on an outboard tank temporarily just to rule out the anti siphon valve & tank pick up.

saaristo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Was a hell of a day yesterday with all the experimenting. Between the tank and fuel cell there is water separator, so to rule out upstream I disconnected from water separator and put the external tank upside down up in the air so to minimize effort needed for sucking - still whining. Then, to understand which pump is actually doing the sound I spent like 15 mins moving my palm in front of the pumps trying to hear when there is drop in loudness or pitch. Seemed like HP pump. So got myself a no-name 60 bucks pump and switchef that out - and what do you know, much quieter. But I wasnt still satisfied and ripped out the whole assembly, ripped it apart and switched also out the LP pump. Again some improvement. And the interesting thing is that while testing the pumps with 12 volts, the noname pumps do make louder sound compared to originals which are almost soundless. But seems that when put under load everything changes and the start whining.
So all in all, it is better but not quite as can be seen in some youtube videos where it's just engine rumble without any fuel pump pzzzzzz.

dubs283

Vice Admiral
The pump(s) will always have a slight whine to them, especially the high pressure ones

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
I go ahead and buy one of those cheaper $200 replacement pumps off Amazon or Ebay and use it for the season and plan on rebuilding the original during the off season or when you have more time.