fuel pump gets hot

iCraft'77

Cadet
I can't vouch on quality of the pump illustrated just user comments on AMAZON can guide your final choice .......consult EOB folks

as to the small filter in the vst it can be cleaned with carb cleaner and air blown dry .....new one is just a few $$$ depending on the dealer . check here with IBOATS folks
View attachment 393979

at least you are progressing
Please excuse my ignorance. I am not familiar with terminology.
What is EOB?
Thanks

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Once the system is operating normally, you might consider adding an oz. or two of automatic transmission fluid to the fuel tank at every fill up to keep clean and lubricated.

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
never heard of ATF in fuel ... Oly's brew suggests xd30 ...

early I3 etec used to inject some xd100 or tcw3 oil in the fuel line ...to bad they stopped that after 2007 or so .

iCraft'77

Cadet
Sounds good. Thanks
Should I, since the engine in question has been inactive for about five years, service tha injectors also?

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
At the very least you should run some cleaner product such as Evinrude engine cleaner ..all depends on engine performance when you start it up imho anyway. Cleaning injectors is like virtue... nobody is against it :)

yet... if pump failure was caused by water in the fuel...maybe injectors need a shop job.

ETECs loves clean fuel keep filters clean incl. an external 10u water separator

My 75 from 2005 never had injectors shop cleaned but I use engine products all the time. I always cycle in the stuff before lay-away for 6 months always with tank fully fueld to prevent condensation in the tank.

the engine takes care of itself being a sealed envrionment. winterization is EMM controlled (except last autumn for some odd reason ??)

18 seasons...starts on a dime ! ...so far anyway :)

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
never heard of ATF in fuel ... Oly's brew suggests xd30 ...

early I3 etec used to inject some xd100 or tcw3 oil in the fuel line ...to bad they stopped that after 2007 or so .
Use of ATF in small amounts as part of maintenance is an old technique to keep injectors clean and lubed.

iCraft'77

Cadet
Update in fuel pump job.
I purchased and installed the new pump and the motor runs fine.
I also cut the old pump open to see what could be wrong and I found that the impeller consists in two cogwheels that spin against each other. They were stuck and with the help of a screwdriver I broke them loose, but every half turn they will get stuck again. Some rust is visible.
I doubt that the little motor had enough torque to break them loose anyway. Interesting design.

Attachments

• IMG_4819.jpg
    IMG_4819.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 4

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
wettek09/30/20 · Édité
I actually PMed Oly about this today and his advice was that XD30 or any other non-synthetic oil is actually better than XD100 for his 200:1 mix. He reckons that even to his surprise, it prevents corrosion better in the fuel system than XD100.

fuel cools the injectors so never run dry on a small 6 gal tank !!! keep the system primed
install a 10uf water separating filter !! on the fuel line before the lift pump

btw thanks for your feedback