Fuel line clamps E48ESLCER and others.

bigrockets

Seaman
I rebuilt the carbs on my 1989 48 SPL and noticed that all of the small fuel lines from the fuel pump to the carbs etc. were held on with zip ties. I bought new alcohol resistant fuel lines and thought that maybe someone had replaced what I thought should be metal fuel line clamps with zip ties at some point in the past. I went to the BRP parts list and found that indeed the called for clamp is a zip tie. Now I have used these things for years for many things but never for a fuel line clamp. I'm leaning towards using a spring clamp or pinch clamp when I replace the fuel hoses. I'm a little puzzled that the zip ties appear to be on almost all Evinrude engines from 1980 onwards in the factory parts list. Do other manufacturers use zip ties for fuel clamps? The ones on the engine seem ok but some of the lines will spin on the fuel barb if you turn them so I'm concerned they may have deteriorated over time leading to potential air leaks. Am I worrying about the small stuff?

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: Fuel line clamps E48ESLCER and others.

I use zipties on all the fuel lines, but I have a tool to tighten them. When I tighten them with the tool, you cannot move them at the attaching points, it clamps them down very tight.

Al-53

Chief Petty Officer

You can get the zip tie tool at Harbor Frieght or on Ebay....I got a nice one on Ebay sorta like a Panduit made by Malco....I bought it to attach skirts to jigs..but now it comes in handy doing boat stuff....

AL

bigrockets

Seaman

I just found one on ebay and it comes with an assortment of cable ties. It tightens then cuts off the excess. That should be a real handy tool for a lot of things. OK I'll use cable ties with the new hoses. Thanks for the replies.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

You should expect to bust some ties until you get the feel of how tight you can pull the cables before you cut off the end.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Ty-wraps apply a nice even pressure around the circumference of the tubing. If your connection is loose it's your hose that is at fault, not the ty-wrap.

BTW: only use the black ty-wraps. They are UV resistant and the only one approved for outdoor applications