Fuel hose length?

WEH

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I like to put my gas tank well forward in the boat for better weight distribution and to get the thing out of my way.<br /><br />For 1972 9.5HP Evinrude on a 12 to 16 ft. boat what is the longest practical length of fuel line hose one should use between the gas tank and the outboard?<br /><br />It would seem the fuel pump would have a finite capability to suck the gas from the tank to the motor.<br /><br />Thanks,

dmessy

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Fuel hose length?

I had my tank in the middle of a 14' boat(about 9' run of hose) using a 9.8 HP. Had to keep tank fairly full to keep a prime going(6 gal). Couldn't recommend going much furthur.

Walker

Captain

It shouldn't matter how long it is. What will matter is how high you are trying to lift the fuel. If your fuel pump and hoses are in good shape (no air leaks)you could run that hose around the boat 4 times and still lift fuel 10 feet.

Forktail

Ensign

I have some 9.9's that suck fuel 20 feet from below deck tanks while passing through a Racor fuel/filter/separator. No probs.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

I agree a sound motor with a good fuel system<br />will get fuel from anywhere in your boat.<br /> If you think about it with the tank in the<br /> front and under way the gas line is running down hill.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

'85 Jonny 15hp on a 16', 18 feet of hose allows me to route it out of the way. No problems for me.