Fuel filter housing port fitting thread pitch ?

Nextelbuddy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Mercruiser 5.7 with fuel filter assembly for the mechanical fuel pump.

I plan on reusing the fuel filter holder and fuel filter with my electric fuel pump upgrade but I need to change the fittings to 3/8 hose bar out of the fuel filter.

I have a hard line coming from the carburetor down the front of the engine and I'm going to run Marine grade 3/8 fuel hose from there down to fuel pump and then from the fuel pump down to the fuel filter and then from the fuel filter to the gas tank.

I'd like to replace the threaded fittings on the fuel filter with 3/8 hose barb fittings

I tried looking up the schematics on the Mercury parts catalog but it doesn't list the thread pitch of the ports unfortunately.

Thank you!

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Mercruiser 5.7 with fuel filter assembly for the mechanical fuel pump.

I plan on reusing the fuel filter holder and fuel filter with my electric fuel pump upgrade but I need to change the fittings to 3/8 hose bar out of the fuel filter.

I have a hard line coming from the carburetor down the front of the engine and I'm going to run Marine grade 3/8 fuel hose from there down to fuel pump and then from the fuel pump down to the fuel filter and then from the fuel filter to the gas tank.

I'd like to replace the threaded fittings on the fuel filter with 3/8 hose barb fittings

I tried looking up the schematics on the Mercury parts catalog but it doesn't list the thread pitch of the ports unfortunately.

Thank you!
I think they are either 3/8“or 1/4” npt

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... They come in 2 flavors, 1/4" pipe is the most common, but I've run across 3/8" pipe as well,.....

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Have yet to see a separator head with anything less than 3/8” npt fittings.

Nextelbuddy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thank you very much to all you guys super helpful with all my boat questions. This place is even more helpful and knowledgeable than the automotive forms that I use for BMWs lol

Nextelbuddy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ayuh,..... They come in 2 flavors, 1/4" pipe is the most common, but I've run across 3/8" pipe as well,.....
Have yet to see a separator head with anything less than 3/8” npt fittings.
turns out it was 1/4 npt. i picked up 3/8 npt to 3/8 barbed hose fittings and they were too big. the fittings that came with my carter fuel pump fit perfectly into the fuel filter assembly an they were 1/4 npt to 3/8 hose and luckily i found some of those in a parts bin i had laying around.

this is a dry mock up of the fuel filter assembly and the carter marine fuel pump for now. I need to drop the engine in and see how close everything is to the exhaust manifolds.

yes that is Marine rated 3/8 hose i got from West marine at $8.59/foot it just doesnt have the red stripe i typically see marine hose have on it so it.

i hope this setup works because it would make a nice straight shot to the carb feed line.

the pump is only 18-19 inches above the top of the tank and the carter instructions state no more than 24 inches max above the top of the tank

PXL_20210716_010530121.NIGHT.jpg