Fuel Economy when towing

ralphy670

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thread starter
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
244
What is your avarage fuel economy when towing your boat?
 

wcsellers

Cadet
Joined
Apr 10, 2010
Messages
28
Re: Fuel Economy when towing

I get about 10 to 12mpg towing. I use a 2000 Z71 with 5.3L. towing a 1993 wellcraft 20sx (approx 3700lbs w/ gas and trailer). I tow at 70mph on major highway to and from lake and I am not that "slow guy".
 

Yellow Yota

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Joined
Jul 23, 2009
Messages
122
Re: Fuel Economy when towing

16 with my dodge diesel pulling my boat. Approx 5000 pounds loaded and ready to go. 14 if I want to go 75 up the hills.
 

Titanium48

Petty Officer 1st Class
Joined
Apr 24, 2008
Messages
303
Re: Fuel Economy when towing

~9 km/L (21 MPG) towing a 1600 lb boat with a Saturn SL2. I could probably do a little better if I drove at 90 km/h instead of 105-110 km/h, but I don't like having a lineup of road raging traffic behind me. My old-school trailer that puts the bottom of the hull 2 feet above the road doesn't help either - the top of the hull and windshield are above the roof of the car making for poor aerodynamics.
 

180shabah

Rear Admiral
Joined
Mar 26, 2005
Messages
4,995
Re: Fuel Economy when towing

14+ on the flat roads and 13-13.5 in the mountains
 

DBreskin

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Joined
Oct 20, 2009
Messages
799
Re: Fuel Economy when towing

About 12mpg with a 2007 Honda Pilot towing a ~4000lb load at highway speed.
 

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Joined
Nov 20, 2001
Messages
17,348
Re: Fuel Economy when towing

I get between 8-10 mpg pulling a #5500 boat with a 01' Tahoe, 5.3L, 3:73 rear
 

dozerII

Admiral
Joined
Oct 25, 2009
Messages
6,527
Re: Fuel Economy when towing

Boy, seeing these numers posted makes me feel pretty good about mine. When I tow my boat 1650lb it is behind my 23 ft 5th wheel 6100lb , with an 02 GMC 2500 4x4 6 liter and I am getting 11 mpg at 100k and hour.
Glen
 

98Shabah

Chief Petty Officer
Joined
Mar 11, 2010
Messages
408
Re: Fuel Economy when towing

I get about 15mpg on hilly rural roads with overdrive off and 17mpg on interstate highway in overdrive. I tow a 98 Mariah Shabah 182 (around 3,100lbs w/ trailer +/-) with an 05 Crown Vic.
 

Titanium48

Petty Officer 1st Class
Joined
Apr 24, 2008
Messages
303
Re: Fuel Economy when towing

Boy, seeing these numers posted makes me feel pretty good about mine. When I tow my boat 1650lb it is behind my 23 ft 5th wheel 6100lb , with an 02 GMC 2500 4x4 6 liter and I am getting 11 mpg at 100k and hour.
Glen

Did you calculate that using 3.78 L/gallon or 4.54 L/gallon? Before we Canadians switched to metric a gallon here was 4.54 L, but in the USA a gallon is 3.78 L.
 

mphy98

Lieutenant
Joined
Oct 20, 2008
Messages
1,422
Re: Fuel Economy when towing

7.8 miles per gallon whether I am towing it or not! I am driving a brick though. A large Class a motor home. :D
 

stubbsboogie

Chief Petty Officer
Joined
Aug 19, 2008
Messages
413
Re: Fuel Economy when towing

We typically get about 12mpg on the way to and from the river at about 60mph.

About 13-14 on the highway at about 70 using cruise.

Towing with a 2003 lincoln aviator 320 hp.
 

system-f

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Joined
Dec 3, 2008
Messages
667
Re: Fuel Economy when towing

14-15mpg in a 1999 Infiniti QX4 with a load of about 2500-3000lbs. I am "that slow guy" and usually only do 60-65mph on the highway.
 

saxrulez

Petty Officer 1st Class
Joined
Apr 10, 2010
Messages
286
Re: Fuel Economy when towing

14-15mpg in a 1999 Infiniti QX4 with a load of about 2500-3000lbs. I am "that slow guy" and usually only do 60-65mph on the highway.

I believe I'm also in the 14mpg or so club. I'm also that slow guy on the up hills(usually drop to 65mph or so), but I run 70mph on the interstate. Its a 2008 Kia sorento with 4wd with the 3.3l V6.
 

bekosh

Lieutenant
Joined
Apr 27, 2004
Messages
1,382
Re: Fuel Economy when towing

Geez. You guys make me feel bad. :mad:
I tow with a 1994 Ford F250 SuperCab 8ft bed 2WD with a 460 big block.
Pulling my 4800lb Wellcraft I only get 6-8mpg at 70mph. :redface:
 

204 Escape

Ensign
Joined
Nov 17, 2007
Messages
909
Re: Fuel Economy when towing

We pull a 3100 # fish/ski/deck boat, with a '01 F-150 4 X 4 off road Spercrew with a 5.4L V-8 with 3:55 rear end. The road to the lake is 96 miles one way, and has A L O T of steep hills, that we encounter. The truck gets about 9-12 mpg. Depends on the wind, and traffic that day. That is driving an average of 65-70 mph>
 

indy440

Chief Petty Officer
Joined
Jul 15, 2009
Messages
400
Re: Fuel Economy when towing

Towing our less than 3000lb bow rider yields about 13mpg with a Honda Pilot. I drive fast.
 

skargo

Banned
Joined
Sep 14, 2008
Messages
4,640
Re: Fuel Economy when towing

I tow my boat once or twice a week, 40-80 miles. I don't fill up before and after each tow, so i can't give accurate numbers, not sure how everyone else is figuring theirs, unless they top off after before and after each tow?

That being said, my 5K lb.+ boat doesn't affect my overall mileage much, as I have a built Cummins powered ram. It gets 19-20 mpg with my mix of driving. I hand calculate every tank.
 

woosterken

Lieutenant
Joined
May 18, 2005
Messages
1,431
Re: Fuel Economy when towing

oh :( I feel like an odd ball , i dont know what my towing milage is.
if the boat is following me ,i am off to have a good time and tow milage dont matter!! :)
'95 F150 4X4 4.9l auto.

IM000083.jpg


woosterken
 

mxzeatr

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Joined
Jun 2, 2010
Messages
188
Re: Fuel Economy when towing

06 F150 with heavy 33's and a leveling kit. My boat/trailer/motor full of gas is approx 3200lbs, I've towed it 300miles round trip twice now, and average about 14 running 75-80mph on the freeway...
 
Top