FORUM RULES UPDATED - The forum rules have been updated to continue to provide a friendly and safe environment for our member community. Please take a moment to review the updated rules and our terms of use and privacy policy. Click here for Forum Rules which has links to the 'terms of use' and 'privacy policy'.
In Other News . . .
You will notice a few enchancements to the forums to make your experience better. These include: Email Notifications, Thread Previews, Thread Starter Notation, and Emoji Options on the 'Like' icon. . .
Additionally, the merchant portions of the website have been updated and are now operational. . . . Check out iBoats for all your boating gear.
All boats are different and it depends on the operator as much as anything else. At cruise speed of around 3000 rpm it will probably be around 4 gallons per hour or so.
Thanks for the responses...my fuel gauge is not working and based on what I've been reading fuel gauges are not really reliable.I used my boat 2 weeks ago and put 18 gallons of fuel. The lake we were in has a strict speed limit of 10 miles an hour. We were out on the lake for about 5 hrs.. Is it safe to assume that my tank is pretty much empty at this time..
When I go out on the lake for a mix of tubing, cruising and relaxing for 5-6 hours I usually use 8-9 gallons. My engine is a little larger though. I would think that you have plenty left in the tank. Really only one way to find out though. Go fill her up and see how much you can get in.
then regarding fuel consumption - too many things factor into it - state of engine tune, drive ratio and propeller pitch, how much weight your carrying, the direction of the wind, how fast were you going, at idle or nearly planing at near 10mph.....etc. Assume your empty and refill.
I guess a "working" fuel gauge, regardless how accurate it is, would be better than what you have huh? Go to the ELECTRICAL forum and use the SEARCH feature using keywords FUEL GAUGE PROBLEM or FUEL GAUGE DOESN'T WORK or similar words. The troubleshooting is covered about 100 times and most include the diagram of a fuel gauge wiring.
why wouldn't a fuel gauge be reliable? I know mine is. Yes the reading fluctuates a bit as the fuel sloshes around but otherwise it's fine. FWIW I probably also burn about 4 gallons an hour.
I'm completely new to boating, but I have had our 16 ft 3.0 L. Out 5 times now on a local lake. I mixed playing, I am using about 1/4 tank each time out. I am light on the throttle but am out there for a quite a stretch each time out. This motor seems to get great mileage, very happy with that! Get the gage working, I wouldn't feel right without it.
+1 on getting the gauge fixed. I am a 4.3L motor and 2 weeks ago was tubing and kneeboarding for 7 hours on lake. and we burned 18 gallons, But that is 5 people in boat and 2 on the tube, and running at 3k rpm for 20 minutes stretches pulling. also the many starts pulling new kneeboarders.