From Barter Kings to Bayliner. New boat owner

Team Skelty

Cadet
Re: From Barter Kings to Bayliner. New boat owner

Ok,

As an update: I figured out that it looks like the tilt/trim was located on the engine of the bayliners. Hence why there was no mounting holes for one on the boat. With that said, this tilt/trim will have to be mounted inside the boat somewhere. I'm still thinking either under the passenger rear seat or inside under the engine area above the tank.

Side note: I'm one of the few people on the net I found who successfully registered an out of state motor. What a pain.

I managed to take the boat out, not to mess with it but rather do a little maintainence on the trailer. The bunks were shot, so I replaced them. Was a quiet day at the public access as the water levels are low and I took off mid day. Managed to tie the boat to a large rock off the side of the boat ramp and proceded to change out the bunks there. Not a sole came in the hour I was there. Was nice ! So, got the bunks changed and decided to check out the reverse linkage I thought I fixed. No go....still goes forward in both "forward" and "reverse" on the selector. Puh ! Either way, thought I would get her up to cruising speed and see what she would do. Top speed was 36mph. With out the tilt trim motor in I can't trim it up any more so I think once that's installed I should be able to trim it up to around 40mph. That sound about right for a 17ft bayliner ? Also, somewhat hard to start when first splashed. Is there a trick to getting it going easier ? I have the electric choke hooked up, pump the primer bulb a few times....it's like an old weedeater, PITA. Once it get's going, will start easily. Thoughts or tips/tricks ?

Back to the reverse...

I took the lower unit off as the PO said that he had changed out the water pump. After doing some reading, apparently you can get the splines of the gear selector off when reinstalling and cause this issue. Put the selector in neutral when I pulled the unit. Before reinstalling I found "center" of the gear selector shaft on the lower unit. I'm hoping this will take care of it. How do you test this without being in the water ? I can spin the prop clockwise and it "clicks" as it's turning, but it won't rotate in the reverse direction at all. Thoughts ? I don't think the PO took the gears/bearings out, simply changed the pump. Could use some help on this one.

Found a horn at the local boat store, going to install that tomorrow. We have a camping trip scheduled for the weekend. I can/have boated with just the forward gear, but would love to have the reverse in the event of wanting to dock.

Pic of her in the water....still in the newlywed phase, lovin every minute of it...even working on it.

bayliner2.JPG

Team Skelty

Cadet

Ok, I'll ask more to the point.
No reverse. Prior to this weekend, I had forward drive with the selector forward or back. Thursday I take the lower unit off to look at the splines for the gear selector. I found what I thought was "center" on the lower unit spines and put it back on. When I took it out this weekend it was slipping out of drive. If I kept it at about 1/4 throttle it would go...more than that and it would rev like it slipped into neutral. I changed nothing other than putting the splined shaft in a neutral position half way between all the way left and all the way right and bolted it back up with the selector in neutral straight up position.

What am I missing....

Team Skelty

Cadet

Well,

had some time to mess with the boat tonight. Took the lower unit down again. This time...I decided to turn the shift shaft just a little more than previously. Low and behold, I found neutral and reverse. Seems previous owner didn't put it back together correctly when he changed out the water pump. With that...I put it back together and while I didn't have reverse, I at least had neutral. Something I hadn't had prior. So I'm making progress. I'll take it down again tomorrow and get it adjusted correctly but seems the mystery may be solved with no broken/worn parts.

I will ask, is there a procedure to starting these old outboards when they are first put in the water ? Mine is hard to start when cold. I know the choke is working, as I made sure it lifted up and functioned with the solenoid. What's the procedure ? How many pumps of the primer bulb, when to choke on start.....any help is appreciated for a new boater. Fires right up after the first run. It's just getting that first one that trys my patience.

Team Skelty

Cadet

Voila ! I have forward, reverse and neutral on command ! Those darn "previous owners" can sometimes make life difficult :facepalm:

Also managed to figure out how to start it right the first time thanks to some tip's and tricks from fellow members.

Taking her out this afternoon or tomorrow for sure to test it out !! Video to follow :eek:

Sunspots

Cadet

So what were those tips and tricks? I'm a new boater and I've been having similar issues figuring out how to get the motor to fire for the first time.

Team Skelty

Cadet

So what were those tips and tricks? I'm a new boater and I've been having similar issues figuring out how to get the motor to fire for the first time.

What I did this last time out was prime the bulb till firm. Cranked it it a couple times with the choke on. The primed the bulb again till firm and cranked again (choke on). I had it started in less than 5 key turns...and for this old motor...that was awesome.

Sunspots

Cadet

How firm should the bulb be? My '85 Mariner 150, the bulb takes like 10-20 squeezes to get it to get firmer, but never gets really firm. I've tried cranked with choke, and without. I'm wondering if I'm flooding it.

BF

Lieutenant

sunspots... better to start a new thread in the merc forum for your own problem... but old merc's are famously cold blooded. My V150 needs fast idle and continual holding of the choke to fire when cold.... then it will need the occassional "bump" of the choke to keep running for the first 20 seconds or so. When warm, it just needs a twitch of the key. Also, for cold starts mine really hates being tilted up even modestly. Try trimming down all the way before trying to start. Once started, trim it up as needed. When it's warm, it can be started trimmed up without a problem.