From Barter Kings to Bayliner. New boat owner

Team Skelty

Cadet
Well,

Where to begin... A couple months ago I began watching barter kings. It gave me the idea, I want a boat. And so it began. I had a nice tool chest, several years old but still a good box. It was given to me as a gift and I had never filled up all the drawers. This would be my trade. I began scouring craigslist, had several that allllmost worked out. Was getting discouraged. Then I found one. 88 bayliner. PO had put on a '70 Merc 135 on it. PO said "it ran". When is sketchy at best. It was a sight unseen trade, other than pics. No way to start it before the deal. I went for it. Got it home with wide eyes and big plans.....

photo2.jpg
photo3.JPG
photo4.JPG

Managed to read enough to figure out what "rabbit ears" were and bought one. Hooked up, gas in the tank....and no go. Engine would turn over but not run. I decided the boating experience would be trial by fire. I uncovered the tower to find this:

photo1.JPG

After a new engine harness to replace the completely wrecked one and new fuel lines that were leaking profusely...

I was pleased to say the least. I would say thank you to the forum as I used it multiple times to help diagnose the problems and how/where to get what I needed to fix them. Much appreciated.

I'm gonna run it for the rest of the year and tear into it a bit deeper over the winter. And so this thing they call "boating" begins.

Lakes84

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: From Barter Kings to Bayliner. New boat owner

Now that's what I call jumping in with both feet! Cool story and video. You might need to do some more bartering if you want to keep it on the water. That's how I do it. Just paid for a new engine selling something or another. Welcome to IBoats, Everyone here will help with anything you need. Have fun with that boat! -Joe

NYBo

Admiral

Looks good! But, beware. The cockpit sole ("deck") has been replaced. If it wasn't done with proper diligence, there could be rotten stringers underneath.

oldjeep

Admiral

Looks good! But, beware. The cockpit sole ("deck") has been replaced. If it wasn't done with proper diligence, there could be rotten stringers underneath.

Yup - looks like someone laid a piece of plywood right over the ski locker and carpeted over it.

Team Skelty

Cadet

Yup - looks like someone laid a piece of plywood right over the ski locker and carpeted over it.

You would both be right. Whomever did it simply cut out bad deck and slapped new deck on. That's part for the winter project stuff this winter !

cobra1476

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Not a bad boat!

Team Skelty

Cadet

So She made her Maiden Voyage yesterday evening ! Life is good. Got to the boat ramp.....gawd the river was low. Backed down and dropped her in. I was like a parent watching his kid walk for the first time. Hopped in and started turned her over...so excited I forgot to prime it before cranking. Doh !! Figured it out after a few seconds and she came alive. Whipped her around to get close to shore to pick up the girlfriend and I eased it into reverse to......It lunges forward !!! Yeah....not engaging into reverse. fortunately I didn't mash it down into reverse or I would have been on the boat ramp minus the trailer ! I'll assume this is a Linkage issue ? From looking at the throttle cables, they are from the boat the motor came on...or they are OEM on the boat...but the motor is a 70 merc. Either way...I don't think they are "matched". So, I'm sure some adjustments will get me what I need. After I got over the initial jitters I opened her up on the river. She accellerated well, although not as break neck as I would have hoped, and purred like a kitten. Another fun "gotcha" of the boat was, the PO put the motor on...but didn't hook up the power tilt/trim. So I had manually set the tilt pin at the halfway hole. This is also probably a contributor to slower than anticipated holeshot. It did plane well after a few seconds and cut through the water extremely well. I was on a 20ft boat with Jets on it last fall and this by far cut better. Not sure how much the hull design helped, but I assume my deeper V hull made it better. It was smooth as glass. Another jitter move was forgetting the bilge pump till a few minutes into my test run. It did turn on and pump as it should, which suprised me since I didn't have to fix that too ! From then on, I would turn the pump on every few minutes and it would pump out water for about 10 seconds and then stop. I'd turn it off and check it again in a few minutes. That seemed like a lot of worry, so I'll probaby try to put on an automatic switch to turn on at water level. They didn't look expensive or hard to install.

All in all, a GREAT first trip out. Didn't get stranded. Girlfriend who doesn't like river water actually had a great time. The 6yr old had an AMAZING time...loved jumping in and driving. After getting the boat off the trailer for the first time, it seems I will need to replace the bunks fairly quickly as they are in disarray. Damn it's nice to own a boat. Repairs or not....it's fun.

NOTES/QUESTIONS:

1. After the trip, I got the tilt/trim motor/pump from the PO. Where in the heck are these things mounted ? It's rather large, and my first thought is to put it in the storage area under the passenger side rear seat.

2. Auto-water level bilge switch. Where to mount ? For those that have manual bilge pump, how often are you clearing ?

3. Any thoughts on the No reverse issues ? I haven't looked at it, but my assumption is just linkage adjustment ?

4. Ready for the next trip already :)

Hit It

Seaman

Glad you got it out on the water. My uncle used to have a boat just like yours, gave me my first taste of boating and I've been hooked ever since.

About the bilge pump... having to run it every few minutes is a big red flag that you've got some pretty serious water intrusion going on. In a boat this size you should really never have to run the bilge pump unless you've taken a wave over the bow or something like that. I would investigate your hull and transom carefully and see where the water is coming in.

Good luck!

m casey stock

Chief Petty Officer

About the bilge pump... having to run it every few minutes is a big red flag that you've got some pretty serious water intrusion going on. In a boat this size you should really never have to run the bilge pump unless you've taken a wave over the bow or something like that. I would investigate your hull and transom carefully and see where the water is coming in.

I would have to agree with "Hit It" too much water coming in. I love "fixing" things, so your boat would be a joy to me, just straightening out the little things that the Goobers of days gone by had "repaired" LOL Sounds like fun to me. Welcome to iboats and happy boating.

nlain

Commander

Another vote for too much water in boat. The boats I have had the pump never runs or had to be run in the old boat, new one is on float switch. The only time it runs is when I am washing the boat and the bilge fills with water, the pump removes it, after a bit I pull the plug so all the water can drain out. Find the leak, since on the trailer you may want to just put some water in the boat and see where it comes out.

bishop169

Cadet

Sounds like my story I've been a long time Kayaker wanted to get somethig i could bring the kids out on and not have to haul 5 boats

posted a hand gun for trade and after 15- 20 emails about junk boats ended up with my 18ft larson bowrider. granted i'm having some trouble right now with the starter and the choke should have it back on the water soon and my outdrive is leaking a little oil but i'm sure i can fix these issues and be on the water i traded a gun i paid 100 for a boat shot i dont mind al ittle work

kewl story nice to see others working the trade

Team Skelty

Cadet

Well,

I would have to agree that I thought it was a bit much myself to have to use the bilge. With that said, there is a "transom saver" on it and the previous motor was removed, so hard telling what holes are behind the transom saver. It also looks as though someone drilled another hole into the back side to drain the water from infront of the transom (bay area...not bilge below) because the original was covered by the transom saver. I think that will be a project for the winter. Once that engine is off...hard telling what I will find and don't want to cut short my chances to be on the water just yet :) Im actually going to try and attach the tilt trim up this weekend and see if it will work. Nothing the PO has said to this point has been "correct"....so if this thing actually works, I'll be surprised.

I love working on stuff. My other hobby is Jeeps, and those are about as reliable as boats. Always something with it. But it's fun to just hit the garage and tackle a job and get rewarded with a job completed. As well as a good sweat and nice breeze.

emoney

Commander

Good for you and welcome to the world of boating. It's a multi-faceted lady we deal with, and cantankerous at times, but she's a giver when all is right. Nice to hear the "barter" story. I'm a life-long "trader" of sorts. My current boat, actually started life 2 1/2 years ago as a Gibson Les Paul Studio. Of course, we're 4 boats later, but the only money that comes out of pocket goes to a parts supplier instead of a "seller". Same thing I suppose.

As for the water intrusion; crawl under her and make sure you don't have some holes down there where the PO may have run over something or hard aground. At the least, get some patch on that until you're ready to pull it all and really fix it. Sometimes, the eye ring on the front for the trailer winch can get loose and water and come in there as well. Have fun and enjoy the heck out of it.

Team Skelty

Cadet

Well, another weekend and another day to work on the boat/trailer.

After the last trip out, I was a bit weary of the tires and winch on the trailer....so I managed to get those replaced. When I take the boat out next, I'm going to replace the bunks. I had some perfect length pressure treated 2x6's left over from a playhouse project, so I covered them and will put them on while the boats in the water. Shouldn't take but a few minutes.

I did figure out the reverse issue, or lack there of ;-) It was the shift linkage/cable for the reverse. A c-clip and I was in business. I also fixed the bow and stern lighting as the PO had cut the wires for some reason. Wired them back up, checked all the fuses and they are good to go. Replaced the cable boot in back as I think that was a big part of the water coming in to the bilge.

So now I'm down to just the tilt trim motor setup. Where is this usually located on outboards ? It seems rather large. Anyone have any pics of tilt/trim motor's in place ?

Taking the boat out tomorrow for a little spin with the kids, change the bunks and test out the reverse linkage....

series60

Chief Petty Officer

Well, another weekend and another day to work on the boat/trailer.

After the last trip out, I was a bit weary of the tires and winch on the trailer....so I managed to get those replaced. When I take the boat out next, I'm going to replace the bunks. I had some perfect length pressure treated 2x6's left over from a playhouse project, so I covered them and will put them on while the boats in the water. Shouldn't take but a few minutes.

I did figure out the reverse issue, or lack there of ;-) It was the shift linkage/cable for the reverse. A c-clip and I was in business. I also fixed the bow and stern lighting as the PO had cut the wires for some reason. Wired them back up, checked all the fuses and they are good to go. Replaced the cable boot in back as I think that was a big part of the water coming in to the bilge.

So now I'm down to just the tilt trim motor setup. Where is this usually located on outboards ? It seems rather large. Anyone have any pics of tilt/trim motor's in place ?

Taking the boat out tomorrow for a little spin with the kids, change the bunks and test out the reverse linkage....

Sure wish you wouldn't keep 'testing' an unknown boat with kids in it in a river! Go by yourself until you know what you have.

Team Skelty

Cadet

Sure wish you wouldn't keep 'testing' an unknown boat with kids in it in a river! Go by yourself until you know what you have.

Us missoura folk are crazy like that. Lick lead paint, climb trees, it's just amazing what us kountry rednecks do ! :facepalm:

oldjeep

Admiral

Take a look behind the left rear seat - you should see the holes where it was mounted

Team Skelty

Cadet

Take a look behind the left rear seat - you should see the holes where it was mounted

By left, I assume you mean passenger side? Behind seat, do you mean in the well under the cushion or physically on the back side of the boat ?

oldjeep

Admiral

By left, I assume you mean passenger side? Behind seat, do you mean in the well under the cushion or physically on the back side of the boat ?

Sure - passenger side. You should be able to see where it was mounted before unless the previous motor had the trim pump built into it (and a lot of them do)

A picture of what you are dealing with would help

m casey stock

Chief Petty Officer

Us missoura folk are crazy like that. Lick lead paint, climb trees, it's just amazing what us kountry rednecks do ! :facepalm:

Ya shur Ya aint frum Missipie? LOL I love it :D