Friend bought jetski, no Title for Trailer?

hostage

Lieutenant
I have heard horror stories about this, though the owner only had the title for the ski. The owner gave my friend a 90 day satisfaction guarantee and wrote it on the receipt. If the owner is a legit person and everything is good, but they can't find the title. How much of a can of worms is this? Is it just calling the DMV and asking for a new title. The trailer has a plate, but was last registered in 2012.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
My trailer was titled in Wisconsin. IIf the combined weight of trailer and boat exceed 3000#, it must be titled and registered in WI.

In Florida, titles only for trailers over 2000# (empty). however every trailer must be registered (technically the registration is the title)

some states there are no trailer titles. however if your local DMV is asking for the title, you live in an area that requires a title.

jbetzelb

Petty Officer 1st Class
Register it as home made works in most places. My boat trailer is a TI trailer and it is registered as home made.

bobdec

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Can't even guess w/o the state location. Here in GA no title required for boat trailers.

hostage

Lieutenant
Can't even guess w/o the state location. Here in GA no title required for boat trailers.

Looks like they removed the info from the posts about location, you can click on the users profile and see where they are, if they put it. I am from NY.

thumpar

Admiral
Is the title in the persons name that he bought it from? I have gone to the DOL with a buyer when I couldn't find a title and just signed off on it. They got a new title in their name.

'82Glastron

Cadet
In Canada you can just register it as homade and you get a new plate for it. That way you don't have to deal with transferring the ownership. I am not sure if the same rules apply for the states.

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander
Every state is different on title issues. In our state (Alabama), boat trailers and boats are not titled at all.

Most title states are for taxation purposes on ad valorem taxes.

All boat regulations and licensing/titling information is available online.

bassman284

Commander
In Canada you can just register it as homade and you get a new plate for it. That way you don't have to deal with transferring the ownership. I am not sure if the same rules apply for the states.
Seriously bud, it depends on the state and they're mostly all different. Strictly state law dependent.

NYBo

Admiral
Looks like they removed the info from the posts about location, you can click on the users profile and see where they are, if they put it. I am from NY.

No title required in NY for a trailer that small. Mine doesn't have one.