Fried Starter Solenoid

Shane C

Cadet
Hey guys, new not very mechanically inclined boat owner here. So, I have an 83' 25 HP Johnson that's been having some issues so I took the carb off to inspect it. To do this I had to remove the starter solenoid, which not knowing what exactly it did, I stupidly tried to do so while still connected to the battery. Sparks flew, I disconnected, proceeded to remove. I worried this damaged it and confirmed it when I put back together and went to start, both battery wires and the solenoid started smoking (yikes). I 100% need a new solenoid but my question is, could this have damaged any other components I have to worry about, or would replacing the solenoid and probably the battery cables fix it? Thanks a lot.

Shane C

Cadet
Yes, I double checked beforehand to make sure I hooked all the cables up back the way they were. The reason I'm assuming I messed up the solenoid when I took it off is because 1. Motor started fine before I messed with it and 2. After trying to start it the solenoid went from a stainless steel to a burnt dark gray color.