Free 85 hp Evinrude Photo

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner
Re: Free 85 hp Evinrude Photo

If I finish this job Friday I'll get to work on it.
I think it can be brought to life- just depends on how much I put into it
I personally believe that jtex should come get it running while I sit and watch.:D
Don't put into it more money than it's worth to you. That is unless you want a project.

cdnfthree2

Chief Petty Officer

Time is what I may put into it, money-not so much.
Maybe twenty or thirty, or fifty dollars.

jonesg

Admiral

Looks like someone was in the process of removing the powerhead judging by the missing front port powerhead mounting stud. (The one right under the throttle linkage).

ignoring this and trying to run it could cause a big problem.

roscozen

Petty Officer 3rd Class

that motor looks identical to my '73. if you part it out please give me a shot at the t&t.and anything else for that matter.
this model, by the way, does not have a pisser to indicate the waterpump is circulating. i'm adding a temp gauge to mine to be safe.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

that motor should hace the choke pull, below and next the the cables. all the way in is off, one click out is auto, so it can be controlled at the controller, all the way out is manual choke.

Not on this one TD. My uncle had this same exact motor when I was growing up. The manual choke is under the cowl and is a lever on the right or left side of the carbs.

James R

Commander

Nice motor.
I have a '78 in my shop, nearing end of refurbish.
Pull the plugs. Shoot some marvel mystery oil down each hole. Rotate the motor by hand. Leave to soak overnight. If the battery cables are connected connect a battery. look at the start solenoid. There are two small terminals, one connected to the case. I like to use a simple switch with wires and insulated alligator clips. Leave the ignition switch turned off. Connect one clip to the battery positive at the solenoid and the other to the small terminal not connected to the case and switch on. Solenoid should function and the motor turn over.
Fit a compression tester to each plug hole in turn. Turn the motor over 5 or 6 revs for each hole and check the compressions. The motor I have here shows 85 PSI on each cylinder and runs beautifully.
If your test comes out good with even compressions then the motor is probably worth checking out further.