Four Winns Freedom 150 taking on water?

bryank75

Seaman Apprentice
Hello,

I have a small Four Winns freeom 150 runabout, took it out on its maiden voyage and when out on the lake I noticed that it was taking longer to plane out, its only 15' 9'' and it has in my opinion ample power, 88HP Evinrude, it was just two men in the boat, after 5 minutes of 3/4 to full throttle the little buzzer in the control box sounded off, I have since repaired the water pump.. When we returned to the boat ramp, I unscrewed the garboard plug and noticed a considerable amount of water flowing out.. I have examined the Keel, and it has a couple of nicks and chunks of the gelcoat missing, but I would have to think that at the Keel the fiberglass would be extremely thick, plus there is a stringer smack dab in the middle of the hull... I haven't had it out since, it does have a livewell, could it be leaking in there? I examined the line from the aerator and it looks intact, I didn't notice the two below waterline through hull fittings cracked or broken.. It does have a 500 gph cartridge style bilge pump, manually switched, but it was useless since the output hose was cracked and rotted in several places, I know the pump works though because I tested it.. The plywood floor was rotted out and was more rotted the further back to the transom/stern you went.. Do you think this boat has been this way for a long time. I don't think it has seen any TLC in along time, and knowing the people I bought it from, they might have parked it outside uncovered with the plug in it for months!!! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bryan

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Four Winns Freedom 150 taking on water?

Take a boating safety course. You need to learn pre-operation checks. Get a manual for your outboard. You are very lucky you did not become a statistic.

bryank75

Seaman Apprentice

Thank you for the concern, I only took it to a well known lake that is relatively small, (660 acre) and close so that I could find out problems like the ones I have described....

Any technical advice out there?

bryank75

Seaman Apprentice

Come on anyone out there??

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Sounds like the boat needs a stringer, deck and transom job. Lots of posts about it on this forum. Get some quiet time, your favorite beverage, snacks, etc and start reading.

bryank75

Seaman Apprentice

I see no cracks in the transom area, from inside or outside...

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

Could it be leaking around the fitting for the plug? Also, if any paart of the livewell plumbing that is below waterline is compromised it will allow wate in. I had a plastic through hull fitting for a livewell pump crack and had the same situation. Just looking at it you couldn't see anything wrong as it was cracked part way through right at the nut in the bilge area. If I were you, I would take it to the ramp on a non-busy day and put it in the water. Leave it on thhe trailer and see if you can spot the leak.