Found a Starcraft Mariner 220 '76 ... let it begin

jonnyfish

Seaman
Some updates, I'm on my final coat for the transom today, which is great. For those of you not following the weather patterns in MN, it has been .... less than ideal for doing any work outside.

That has made it every few weekends when i can get the space to continue on the project, which is a bummer, but the lakes are locked up so i'm not missing much.

As you can see I'm working on getting all of the corrosion off of the metal, both on the outside, and the inside skin, getting under mammoth sized splash well is a serious pain, there will be many 4 letter words by the time this project is done.

QUESTION:
Any of you SC vets ever find something that looked like electrical tape stuck to the splash well, where it screws into the wood? I don't have a good picture of it, but the stuff looked like toasty garbage, so I've gotten it all out of there. Question 1a, should i replace it? Have you guys sealed the cracks of the splash well where it meets the wood transom board?

Thank you all very much.

Attachments

• photo287898.jpg
    photo287898.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo287899.jpg
    photo287899.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 0
  • photo287900.jpg
    photo287900.jpg
    212.4 KB · Views: 0

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
It's much easier to remove the SW from the boat, do the work and return it. Most guys will use 5200 to seal the joint between the SW and the transom wood. The only way to do that with the SW in still is just to put a bead on the outside.

Watermann

Nice work, having a new transom is peace of mind that the most expensive part on the boat will stay put! :lol:

jonnyfish

Seaman
You got that right. Now i don't have to keep having the nightmare of my motor ripping off after hitting a big wave and sinking my boat.

Whew.

Thanks for all your help Watermann there's no way I could have gotten through this project without you guys.
I really do appreciate all of the help.

jonnyfish

Seaman
I looked back at that build i referenced on page one for building out a back casting deck.

I'm bummed to see what Photobucket has done, But glad I saved at least a few of those photos before it all went down.

If any of you guys have good examples or resources for a rear casting deck build I would greatly appreciate it, that is next on my list and i'm looking to get it knocked out.

I kind of have to, I upgraded the gas tank and it will no longer fit underneath that splashwell.

:noidea:

jonnyfish

Seaman
I will be Starting the rear casting deck in a few weekends, and hoping to knock it out rather quickly.

I've waffled on some different designs for a while now but have landed on this, with the flip bench seat that is sold here on iBoats, the 58" width version.

Attachments

• photo288564.png
    photo288564.png
    2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo288565.png
    photo288565.png
    7.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo288566.png
    photo288566.png
    111.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo288567.png
    photo288567.png
    265.1 KB · Views: 0

Watermann

Seating is one thing the Mariner is not known for having much of, that will add some options for you too. :thumb:

jonnyfish

Seaman
Well the transom is done, and holy cow that is way more solid than it was before, i have zero worries.

It was much more work than i thought, but it is well worth it.

Now i'm onto building a deck, does anyone have suggestions on a sealer to use to seal the wood up and weather proof it.

Thanks

Attachments

• photo288942.jpg
    photo288942.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo288943.jpg
    photo288943.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 0

jonnyfish

Seaman
We knocked out the rear deck this weekend, added a larger capacity tank at 24 gallons (replacing the 18), which is integrated into this deck.

As a note for anyone searching the great and vast internet later on, Wise Blast Off Bench Seats are not impressive. The hardware (hinges) felt like we could break them with little effort, and there was absolutely no support in the middle of the seat, to the point where leaning back felt like we would break it. I would strongly advice against these seats unless it leans against a solid/sturdy structure, which was not my intended design.

Attachments

• photo289375.jpg
    photo289375.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1