Found a Starcraft Mariner 220 '76 ... let it begin

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
There are many here that really dislike this style of SC transom but it sure makes it nice to add on a kicker without a bracket. Most of them want to be able add a swim platform and ladder which this style does not allow for.

fetch

jonnyfish

Seaman
For sure, I can see that being a problem for some who's main use would be recreation, fortunately my primary usage will be fishing, with a secondary use of rec. Ironically the guy gave me a ladder he kept in the boat which was a nice little add on.

Speaking of the kicker. I'm actually considering removing it permanently, as I rarely use a kicker for trolling (and rarely troll). It's also kind of a goofy setup as you have to start that motor manually and reposition the steering shaft ect. to get it all going. It also runs on it's own fuel tank, kind of a hassle to dink with from my perspective.

Regarding weight ratio's and distribution, how much weight in the front of the boat might be too much? I'll be bolting on a new trolling motor up there, which is a pretty standard add on, but this trolling motor is a 36V, so I'll have 3 batteries in the bow, that together weigh somewhere in the 150lb range I'd guess, should I be concerned with this?

Watermann

That weight is nothing to even worry about with a 22'r, sure would be a concern for a 16'r.

jonnyfish

Seaman
Another quick question as it's all hands on deck this weekend and the project gets started tonight, how do I get the transom caps off of the back?

I've been digging around on posts but this particular detail seems to be often skipped over.

Watermann

Transom cap, if stock SC spiral nails then it's a wrecking bar with the nail puller end to bang on the head to get the nail started coming out and then the puller. Of course you have to take those motors off first. :lol:

End caps should just be screws.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
FYI that piece of wood on the outside of the transom doesn't need to be replaced. I omitted it on both my restores. It's unnecessary, newer boats don't have them. All they do it compress from the motor thus splaying out the wood plys which then leak and rot. So ditch it or replace it with something non-wood. Good luck this weekend.

Watermann

That's right, the wooden motor pad is not needed. Some of us put the pad back on although not wood. I used AL to form one because there was pitting underneath from the wood and that was a great way to cover it up.

IMAG2317.jpg

DLNorth

Chief Petty Officer
If you don't get an answer here, go over to the Merc section of this site and ask there.

I'm of no help, as I haven't figured out how to remove it from my '85 yet, which is completely different than my '76.

Dan

Watermann

Pop the motor top, disconnect the control cables and unplug wire harness from the motor.

jonnyfish

Seaman
No Title

Unfortunately, we did not do the transom this weekend. Disappointing is an understatement as this is something I really wanted to do. The problem came down to not feeling confident in unwiring the motor, the image attached was the main culprit that made us concerned.

I'm not sure if that entire block comes off to make removal easier, but we couldn't see a way to do that if there is one. The steering column would also not pull all the way out. I ended up doing some easier things on the boat, got the kicker off, mounted a new trolling motor, mounted my depth finders. Cleaned up the metal on the backside of the transom and got a transom saver. But all in all I'm disappointed I couldn't accomplish the task I had set out to do.

And now I have another problem to solve regarding how to disconnect the motor.

Attachments

• photo260956.jpg
    photo260956.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 1

Watermann

Johnny you don't disconnect the entire wiring harness on the motor. Follow the main wire cable where it passes through the motor hood. Mine has a single exterior plug but yours I think has a plug inside under the hood that goes to the motor harness.

79_88_V6.jpg

jonnyfish

Seaman
Awesome, I'll have to take a look, if that's the case that would certainly make that task less daunting. Both of us were a little confused as to how removing motors would be sane if we had to keep track of where all the wires went.

Regarding the steering column, I could not get it to completely unattach from the sheeth. Does the motor need to be lifted up to do this? It seemed like we ran out of real estate with the splash well

Watermann

You can't get the steering cable all the way out with the motor attached, you have to pull it and move it away while suspended.

64osby

Admiral
There are many here that really dislike this style of SC transom but it sure makes it nice to add on a kicker without a bracket. Most of them want to be able add a swim platform and ladder which this style does not allow for.

My solution.

Watermann

Now that ^^^ is a super smart solution :thumb: Did you cover that ladder addition in your Mariner thread?

64osby

Admiral
Now that ^^^ is a super smart solution :thumb: Did you cover that ladder addition in your Mariner thread?

Why yes I did. :lol::D The ladder was salvaged off an old Hurricane deck boat. The deck was custom. I will pop up the rear rod holder to use as a hand hold when climbing. The ladder has worked great, makes getting out of the water super easy.