Fouled Spark Plugs

sr79

Seaman
I recently bought a 1999 Bayliner Express 2452 in very nice condition. When starting the Mercruiser 5.0 engine every few days and letting it idle I notice the engine starting to get sluggish and eventually stopping and unable to restart. Changed sparkplugs and started first crank but, noticed old plugs were in good condition but were black and sooty. Checked compression: 190/195 PSI all 8 cylinders. Rotor, cap and wiring look to be in good condition. I believe the carburetor is a Mercury 2 barrel. Did fine out on the water with 17" prop at 4400 RPM WOT but something is defiantly wrong it should idle for a long time without loading up. I get minimal stinky exhaust on startup then quickly runs clean. Could this be a carburetor issue or bad valve seals, piston oil rings or ??? Engine has 350 hours on it. Thanks for looking and any advice you want to offer. Dennis

vroom ZOOM

Petty Officer 1st Class
when it stalls, pull the flame arrestor off and see if you can see fuel dribbling in there

Scott06

Admiral
Stinky exhaust on start implies overly rich, make sure choke fully and consistently opens

tank1949

Lieutenant Commander
I recently bought a 1999 Bayliner Express 2452 in very nice condition. When starting the Mercruiser 5.0 engine every few days and letting it idle I notice the engine starting to get sluggish and eventually stopping and unable to restart. Changed sparkplugs and started first crank but, noticed old plugs were in good condition but were black and sooty. Checked compression: 190/195 PSI all 8 cylinders. Rotor, cap and wiring look to be in good condition. I believe the carburetor is a Mercury 2 barrel. Did fine out on the water with 17" prop at 4400 RPM WOT but something is defiantly wrong it should idle for a long time without loading up. I get minimal stinky exhaust on startup then quickly runs clean. Could this be a carburetor issue or bad valve seals, piston oil rings or ??? Engine has 350 hours on it. Thanks for looking and any advice you want to offer. Dennis
That seems like a lot of PSI? I suspect needs carb kit. Run some Sea Foam through and pray it clears it up!

Kman530

Seaman Apprentice
Had the same issue with my 5.0 as it wouldn’t run very well at idle and started hard cold. Changed the carburetor out for a rebuild which solved my idle problem but it’s still running rich and have black sooty plugs. I’m going to try to adjust the choke plate next to see if that helps, if nothing, next is the idle mixture. I guess it’s better to run a little rich than lean..

sr79

Seaman
Had the same issue with my 5.0 as it wouldn’t run very well at idle and started hard cold. Changed the carburetor out for a rebuild which solved my idle problem but it’s still running rich and have black sooty plugs. I’m going to try to adjust the choke plate next to see if that helps, if nothing, next is the idle mixture. I guess it’s better to run a little rich than lean..
Thanks for your comments and suggestions. I installed a "new" rebuilt carburetor. Now the engine idles smooth and sounds good, that is, with muffs in the driveway, the real test will be on the water but it always did run good on the water.
Thanks again for your help....

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Your compression gauge is off...or you might have other issues. Hopefully the gauge.

sr79

Seaman
That seems like a lot of PSI? I suspect needs carb kit. Run some Sea Foam through and pray it clears it up!
Yes, I think my compression gauge was reading a little high, the thing is all cylinders are even.
Installed new "rebuilt" carb and that fixed the problem.
Thx Dennis

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Might adjust the air/fuel mix -- sounds like you need a leaner setting (clockwise).