Formula 330 Cabin Floor & Ceiling Work

tpenfield

Staff member
FWIW - I went back to my blog site www.tpenfield.com and did a bunch of updating, which had not been done in a few years. :) So, hopefully, I'll have plenty of pictures to post. (I read through pictures . . . if that makes any sense :noidea:
)

tpenfield

Staff member
Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4368.JPG Views:	1 Size:	183.8 KB ID:	10863766

Just testing the paperclip icon upload . . . seems to be working now :thumb:

tpenfield

Staff member
Finishing off the cabin work, I installed new dome lights (LED), replacing the original lights that had seen better days and the lenses were all dried and cracking.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4387.JPG Views:	1 Size:	107.0 KB ID:	10866576
Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4388.JPG Views:	1 Size:	202.4 KB ID:	10866577

I think that I'm down to pretty much the cockpit carpet, the helm controls and gauges as still being original . . . maybe next year. :noidea

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
OK, now you're just showing off....... LOL

in all seriousness, great work Ted...

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
yup Im sure it wasnt but thats the stuff we do. :grumpy:!
Looks GREAT TED!

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Ted,

Was supposed to say 'I'm sure it was." Dang cause I was looking forward to it cause thats on my list.
Sailrite has alot of vids for this so I was looking forward to your technique.

tpenfield

Staff member
I have never liked the way the ceiling of the cabin is fastened. There are screws at each of the dome lights that fasten the headliner up into the underside of the deck. It seems like there is too much weight to rely on only 3 attachment points (i.e. where the lights are). Every time I work on it there is a struggle . . . just hope it stays up.

tpenfield

Staff member
What did you use for the backer in regards to the large headliners?

Not sure what you are referring to :noidea:

The center section of the headliner (where the dome lights are mounted) is 'hanging' by 6 wood screws that hold it up tight against the side panels, which are just cloth w/ 1" foam backing - adhered directly to the ceiling (i.e. underside of the deck).

I'm thinking I could run a set of screws near the edges of the center section to more securely fasten it. Sort of depends how much wood there is in the underside of the deck to screw into. I'll have to go through some old pictures to refresh my memory.

Regardless - any improvements will be on next year's list.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
if it helps in the future..... I will be securing my ceiling panels with hook and loop tape

tpenfield

Staff member
Just looked at an old picture from when I had the ceiling/headliner down a few years ago . . .
image_232014.jpg
Looks like there is wood embedded into the fiberglass deck ONLY in the area where the dome lights are, so I'd have to figure something else out in terms of additional fasteners. Maybe hook & loop tape . . .

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
if it helps in the future..... I will be securing my ceiling panels with hook and loop tape

yup...Ted you are very lucky to have a flat and alot of flat ceiling to secure the fabric to. I'm going hook and loop also. I have alot of bumps and curves to compensate. Thanks for the pic.
I'll have to compensate with foam and wood like Scott to make smooth surfaces.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
trust me, my ceiling is anything but smooth.