ford f250 vs chevy 2500

penst8grad

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: ford f250 vs chevy 2500

I've been a diehard Ford guy for years, but when Ford changed body styles in 1997, I lost a lot of faith in Ford. The F150 cab in that style wasn't meant for anyone with long legs.

Wow, you must be one big dude. I'm 6'3" and I don't even put the seat all the way back on my '99.

The dodge warranty does have my interest too, although a friend had 3 transmissions put into his 2500. All under warranty, but it was still enough to make him get rid of it before the warranty ran out.

Bigprairie1

Commander

The basic line is that they are all pretty good. These days there don't appear to be any lemons and what it comes down to very much is personal preference.
That said, I've driven the late model GM and Dodge diesels (06/07) and I am definitely partial to the GM's. They seem to have more power and they are just nicer to drive. The power perception I experienced may be due to the Alison transmission regardless...it was there. As for the Ford, I haven't driven one so I'm not sure.
However I do know that the older Pow'r Stroke diesels suffered from an inherent vibration problem (in comparison to the Dodges and GM's) that Ford could not easily engineer out...thus the new Ford series/size Diesels.
I don't think you can really lose on any of these choices, although from what I've heard I would avoid the V10's.
The diesels seem to be a bit of overkill but you get your investment back in better mileage and resale.
Keep us posted, interesting stuff!!

Ducatinut

Seaman Apprentice

Does anyone have any experience with the gas V10 gford, I would like the extra power of the ford but the gas is more convenient. In addition to the boat I am looking at having my motorcycle and a large load in the bed when we have to evacuate for the next hurricane.

I have an '04 F250 CC LB with the V-10. It's a towing beast and gets 13-15 mpg on the highway empty, and about 7.5 towing my 24' cuddy (about 9K lbs rolling). The diesel WILL get better mpg, but think about how much gas you can buy with the price premium (was $5500 when I bought mine, surely more now).

The V-10 will tow nearly anything and has proven to be durable (other than a head stud issue a few years ago) in the industrial and RV fields. I think there was some complaints about sparkplugs unseating at the same time, but it may have been related to the stud issues.

I prefer the Ford interior to the others, but the GMs are nice also. Dodge has decent drivetrains, but it seems like the trucks I'm familiar with fall apart after a couple of years (small, dumb stuff). The cummins is standard-bearer, but I'm underwhelmed by the gasser.

YMMV, take with a grain of salt, etc..

Chris

boatflounder

Seaman Apprentice

Originally Posted by imported_reelfishin
I've been a diehard Ford guy for years, but when Ford changed body styles in 1997, I lost a lot of faith in Ford. The F150 cab in that style wasn't meant for anyone with long legs.

I have to disagree with this being 6'6' tall with a 38" inseam the thing that made me by my 98 f150 was the legroom! Was a lifelong disliker of fords and had an uncle who could get me a deal on a chevy, but my knees were scraping the dash in the chevy and I could swing my legs around in the ford, done deal.

same reason Im leanin gto ford now after sitting in the chevy the other day, it jus dont fit!

ktmrider

Seaman

Although I currently own both a ford V10 and PSD 7.3, I would recommend the new tundra 5.7 380 HP 400 ft-lb torque if you are going to get a gasser.

For diesel, it's hard to say. I don't trust any of the newer Ford PSD's. Period.
Based on what's I've seen from youtube, the ford psd alway loses to a cummins in a 1 on 1 tug of war.

Keep in mind the cummins are on 6 cylinders diesels....
I'm sure the dodge diesels are great for pulling.