Ford 302 issues

alldodge

Staff member
Very bad to turn the motor over using the crank bolt. It can snap

Sounds like your lifters are collapsing, and if that's what's happening they need to be rebuilt or replaced. Probably replaced

Jakem

Ensign
Only way the tapping stays stopped is if I max out the valve nut wich clearly isn't right

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
My rocker arms will not stay were I set them. I adjust valves and it's nice and smooth. The longer I run it I have to keep adjusting to get rid of tapping. Also when I turn crank by hand I get an instant clunk from bottom end. Any ideas
Had that happen on a chevy 350. The nuts were wore out, replaced them and the issue went away.

jhande

Chief Petty Officer
Only way the tapping stays stopped is if I max out the valve nut wich clearly isn't right
Are you properly setting the valve lash?
Did you checkout the link I posted for you in my last post?
If so then a quick trick to try...
With the valve covers off and engine idling take a hammer with either a wooden or rubber handle. Using the handle push down with a little pressure on the rocker arm just above the push rod. If the clatter goes away try a bit more pressure. If it seems you were able to push down a bit more the hydraulic lifters could be worn out.
To check if the rocker nuts are loosening up, run the motor and watch if you see the nuts loosening up. Trick, mark the nut with something so you can see if the mark turns.