Ford 302 issues

Jakem

Ensign
I have posted on here about what seamed to be an overheating issue. My expansion jug fills and won't drain back to hx. The fluid is Luke warm. I have had the heads off and replaced valve seals...head gasket..manifold and exhaust gaskets. It still does the same thing with the antifreeze and first run umderload I could smell burnt valve and also fuel. That went away after a while. Lacks power...I'm baffled

Jakem

Ensign
I have posted on here about what seamed to be an overheating issue. My expansion jug fills and won't drain back to hx. The fluid is Luke warm. I have had the heads off and replaced valve seals...head gasket..manifold and exhaust gaskets. It still does the same thing with the antifreeze and first run umderload I could smell burnt valve and also fuel. That went away after a while. Lacks power...I'm baffled
I also changed thermostat...oil...new antifreeze

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Have you stsrted with the impeller?

Also, check compression

Jakem

Ensign
Impeller is new...water pump is new...I just don't get why the jug gets full and doesn't drain back....if I pop the rad cap it flows back....rad cap is also new

alldodge

Staff member
With the HX cap removed are there any bubbles?
As in maybe a head gasket issue

alldodge

Staff member
I understand, but your saying the coolant is pushed out, overheats and doesn't get sucked back in.

Jakem

Ensign
Right...and as the jug fills the coolant isn't even hot like I can hold my finger in it. Everything has been revealed and it still does it

jhande

Chief Petty Officer
Is the motor getting hot, hotter than the overflow?
When the motor sits and cools down, removing the HX cap is the coolant level low?
The cap could be the wrong PSI setting.
Something might be constricting the coolant flow through the motor.
Depending on the type of head gaskets used, were the re-torqued?
Could be air bound, air pocket in the cooling system.
As mentioned above, run motor with HX cap removed and watch for bubbles and/or flow.

Jakem

Ensign
It gets low yes because it doesn't stop filling the tank. I have a 14 psi cap. All hoses are clear and manifolds look new inside. They are felpro head gaskets

alldodge

Staff member
That's bad for a rebuilt, weak for and old one
Check for moisture in 6

Could do a leak down test to determine if its rings or valves but my guess is a head isn't flat within .003