Force/Mercury Frankenstein

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Post a picture of the bypass cover / with hose to see where it goes.-----Is this on the top cylinder ?------Post pictures of where the hose comes from / goes.

The Force power

Commander
Post a picture of the bypass cover / with hose to see where it goes.-----Is this on the top cylinder ?------Post pictures of where the hose comes from / goes.

Hey Raceone thank you for tuning in,

see post# 25 +#28 + #29 in this

The Force power

Commander
Well....the silicone did seal it but now the #1 & #2 spark plugs are wet (water) #1 would not even fire.
pulled it back apart & clean-up both surfaces.
A new gasket is on the order list :mmph:

Well....new gasket is on & no external leaks, however did a quick drop down test and #1 not firing.
I'll do a compression test to see if the piston part of the gasket is sealing. then the spark test.
I sprayed fuel in the top carb. and that did not change anything, so it should not be a fuel problem

The Force power

Commander
Compression reading results;
#1 @ 134 / #2 @ 136 / #3 @ 140 these reading are taken with a different gauge the previous results posted.
Ignition test = good firing at all Cylinders & a good spark jump

Still no drop in RPM's when #1 gets unplugged, so then it can only be fuel related? pump pressure?

Sprayed a quick squirt of brake-cleaner into #1 carb. and it surged!
(DISCLAIMER; this is NOT a good practice & not recommended, just to clarify for the folks that don't know this)

This would indicate to me a fuel-issue, so I adjusted the fuel/air mixture screw to 1&1/2 turn out(from 1&1/8) revved the engine a couple of times to get adjusted.

Would you believe?!? it made it run on the top Cylinder meaning; the RPM's drops down now when I unplug #1

Someone's theory & explanation is greatly valued

kbh121956

Chief Petty Officer
Brake cleaner and Carb cleaner are two different animals. Brake cleaner is more potent and will eat up rubber faster while carb cleaner isn't as fast acting. Both will eat up or soften rubber in given time. Just something to remember. Glad that you have it figured out.

The Force power

Commander
The way I applied the brake-cleaner there's luckily no rubber being eaten but it will remove lubricants.
It creates a highly combustion mixture to aid firing

as far as "figure it out,"....I have not. lol

Nordin

Commander
Was the top cylinder plug fouled when you did the drop down test or the top cylinder "over riched"?
Just a thought and I can not explain why it start to run at top cyldiner, 1 1/2 turn out from seated instead of 1 1/8 would not solve the issue.

Check the spring in the HT rubber boot, maybe bad connection.

The Force power

Commander
Hi Nordin, thank you for tuning in.
I have started a new post regarding this, so I should not dwell on this in here anymore, however I will answer your question.
the top plug is clean & I cleaned/sand the springs in the boot as good as possible (rusted)