Force/Mercury Frankenstein

Redbarron%%

Chief Petty Officer
I have started using Hylomar blue which is a reuseable sealer and the gaskets can be removed usually without damage.
It fills gaps (small ones) and is a polymer based very sticky substance.
I have many tee shirts with smears and dabs that have never washed out.
As far as I know I have never had a problem with it sealing and if you are in and out of an engine or ?? it makes the job easier.
It also works without gaskets as well.
http://hylomar.com/hylomar-product-range/gasket-jointing-compounds/

Of course if you are dealing with a badly corroded surface a setting RTV gasket might be better.
I had an exhaust cover for a Mercury Sport jet that had corroded and buggered up mating surfaces and I cleaned the mating surfaces and built them up with Epoxy and then used a big flat file to draw file them level. I used Hylomar Blue as a gasket to seal this surface and it worked well for me.

The Force power

Commander
Hi Redbarron%%

Thank you for your suggestion, I think just a new gasket will do the Job this time

The Force power

Commander
Now that I'm waiting for that head-gasket to arrive, I discovered something new on these motors.
while I was turning the Fly-wheel & watching the Pistons go up & down, I noticed in the exhaust-ports a small metal tube that was spraying fuel-oil into the Cylinder.
I can only assume that this is left-over fuel/oil coming from the re-circulation hoses, what a nifty system:adoration:

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
From the above post. "I noticed in the exhaust-ports a small metal tube that was spraying fuel-oil into the Cylinder."
You talking about the port covers? These are on the intake side.
All your covers have the tube or just one?

The Force power

Commander
From the above post. "I noticed in the exhaust-ports a small metal tube that was spraying fuel-oil into the Cylinder."
You talking about the port covers? These are on the intake side.
All your covers have the tube or just one?

The head is currently off waiting for a new head-gasket to arrive.
looking into the cylinder there are 6 holes in the cylinder wall 3 for intake/ 3 for exhaust the small little tubes are in one of the exhaust holes & every cylinder has on tube

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
I asked about the year as the older models only have the tube on the one where the pumps mounted.

The Force power

Commander
it should be a "91 but still has the dog bone style & old style fuel pump having said that; it was rigged with the merc. ignition
there are some # at the bottom piston at the back of the block (see pic.) IMG_2013.JPG

Redbarron%%

Chief Petty Officer
Perhaps off topic I have an observation on Force engines with the mercury ignition system, which I have on my 90 hp Force.
The issue is the flywheel and the trigger for that flywheel.
There is a difference in the two in the way the trigger behaves and I cannot answer all of the issues.
In the early Force engines the trigger feeds the CDI box and within that CDI box is the bias circuit that consists of at least a diode per trigger and a resistor to bias the voltage to regulate the timing as the rpm increases.
The late flywheel and trigger combination for the CDM modules has the trigger bias circuit built into the trigger assembly.
Unfortunately the early and late trigger / flywheel s are not compatible, but the early trigger WILL fire the CDMs and the engine will run, perhaps with some issues due the the difference in the actual timing curve vs the original due to the lack of the ignition bias circuit.
So the answer is to build the bias circuit to go between the trigger wiring and the CDM harness.
I have taken a shot at duplicating the circuit, but as yet I have not verified it in practice due to travelling and some vertigo problems.
If someone has a late model trigger coil for either the three or four cylinder CDM I would like to see it and tear into it to see exactly what circuit is used.

The Force power

Commander
Perhaps off topic I have an observation on Force engines with the mercury ignition system, which I have on my 90 hp Force.
The issue is the flywheel and the trigger for that flywheel.
There is a difference in the two in the way the trigger behaves and I cannot answer all of the issues.
In the early Force engines the trigger feeds the CDI box and within that CDI box is the bias circuit that consists of at least a diode per trigger and a resistor to bias the voltage to regulate the timing as the rpm increases.
The late flywheel and trigger combination for the CDM modules has the trigger bias circuit built into the trigger assembly.
Unfortunately the early and late trigger / flywheel s are not compatible, but the early trigger WILL fire the CDMs and the engine will run, perhaps with some issues due the the difference in the actual timing curve vs the original due to the lack of the ignition bias circuit.
So the answer is to build the bias circuit to go between the trigger wiring and the CDM harness.
I have taken a shot at duplicating the circuit, but as yet I have not verified it in practice due to travelling and some vertigo problems.
If someone has a late model trigger coil for either the three or four cylinder CDM I would like to see it and tear into it to see exactly what circuit is used.

Hi Redbarron,

I'm not sure what you mean, if I understand you correctly...your saying that there are differences between the early version of the Merc. ignitions & later merc. ignitions?
I don't know, never worked with it other then removed the merc. ignition/fly-wheel/trigger-base/trigger & stator to convert (back) to Prestolite.
the reason I did that was; I want identical set-up in case I have to swap motors in a pinch

IMG_1949.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1949.JPG
    IMG_1949.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Redbarron%%

Chief Petty Officer
IF we are talking about a pre-CDM Force that you installed them on and have the early flywheel and trigger then there may be an issue on the bias circuit.
This is the CDM parts I was referring to.
photo322558.jpg
The picture that you posted is of the Force / Mercury earlier CDI system.
I had thought you were talking about changing from the one you posted and the one above which is the later model Mercury CDM where the ignition circuitry is built into the pack along with the coil instead of the separate coils and the CDI box.

Last edited:

The Force power

Commander
Yes, now we're on the same page & no swapping betwee merc. ignition for me.
I brought it back to the Prestolite for reasons mentioned earlier