Force exhaust problem

pgattuso

Cadet
I put a used power head "84" on a "89" motor frame(120hp). I continue to have an exhaust leak into the motor housing. I have removed the head several times and resealed with gasketmaker. The exhaust tube gasket is ok. The exhaust seems to be comming up the controls side of the motor. The bottom of the powerhead seem to be identical. Could the gasket above the exhaust plate be leaking, from the exterior it looks ok ie no obvious signs Any suggestions

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
Re: Force exhaust problem

You got me,pgattuso. But I would remove the<br />bypass valve on the front-lower exuast cover.<br />(two bolts).Check the valve for warp and the spring for tension.<br />I never had this problem, but if that valve doesn't seat, it will leak-thru.<br /> <br /><br />------------------<br />Time to change my tagline

pgattuso

Cadet

Thanks for the reply! I replaced the gasket between the power head and exhaust plate. I seems to have worked but i have said that before. Additionally, i broke off the fin on the bottom of the lower unit, any advice on reattachment. A self inflicted wound hopefully not a mortal one <br />Thanks <br />pgattuso

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Howdy, pgattuso. If, by "the fin on the bottom of the lower end" you mean the skeg, you are in luck. Skeggard makes a SS sleeve to restore/protect the skeg, provided there is enough of it left to bolt onto. You will need at least 1-11/2" of the original skeg. We broke off about 3" of the skeg on my son's Merc 90 last summer on an uncharted rock in Lake of the Woods, limped back to camp on the spare prop. The local wrench did a little grinding, a little hammering, and installed a Skeggard. Like new! Cabelas sells the Skeggard if you don't find it at local marine stores. You will want a model 18.<br /><br />Good luck.<br />JB
smile.gif