Force 85 hp outboard problem, I think.

birdgod

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi all,
I have a 1989 spectrum with 85 hp force OB. I recently have a problem with my fish finder. I notice that it keep rebooting it self when the boat is moving and sometime freeze. At first I thought there is loose connection, then I notice that the light flicker when the boat is moving. My friend suggest that the rectifier is bad. So my question is how to be sure. And would other things cause my problem?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: Force 85 hp outboard problem, I think.

Could be the connections are bad. Where is the connection.To a fuse block or to the key switch.
Where is the transducer mounted?Not mounted deep enough it could be comming out of the water.
Signature,32 MPH is kinda low.How big is the boat.What RPM's at wot?J

birdgod

Petty Officer 1st Class

The connect is to a fuse box and it is connecting good.
The transducer is mount good by pro it is working find before until the problem recently
The rpm I have to check I think it is around 5000-5500. I will post the next time I take it out.
The boat is a fish n ski 1989 17' aluminum v. Body was perfect no leak.
I have ask around the top speed before, seem like everyone is saying different, so say 32 mph sound about right.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

I had a combination fish finder/depth finder/speedometer that did the same thing before it totally crapped out (a year later). Your problem is most likely the fishfinder, not the engine or electrical. It is warning you to save your money to buy a new one.

birdgod

Petty Officer 1st Class

But without the engine running the fish finder works for hours .

Rugid

Cadet

How close is your receiver wire routed to anything that runs on electricity, other then the fish finder. Maybe interference. Mine did the same until I rerouted the receiver wire on the other side of the boat.

birdgod

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks, that might be it, will try to reroute.

birdgod

Petty Officer 1st Class

I took my boat out yesterday and check the rpm at wot, it is at 4500 only.... What should i do next?