Force 60hp bogs at full throttle

greggrant

Cadet
60 Hp force , 2 cylinders. Have replaced and rebuilt fuel system. Now I remembered something I read on one of the forums and while the engine was running I covered the intake to #2 carb and found very little difference. I covered # 1 and engine died quick. I pulled pluggs and # 2 was still clean. How can I test the ignition coiuls and the modual?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Force 60hp bogs at full throttle

Ahoy, GG.<br /><br />Please read "Suggestions for New Posters".<br /><br />We get this question several times a day and procedures and advice available in past posts would fill a library.<br /><br />If you still have questions, please come back to this thread.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

greggrant

Cadet

I have searched for over an hour through the archives on my problem and have not had any success in finding what i need. Can someone tell me a simple way to test my CD ignition modual to determine if it is working properly on both coils. Thanks

JB

Hi, GG.<br /><br />Do you know that you have no spark on #2? A clean spark plug can mean many things, including no fuel, water in the cylinder and no scavenging pressure. No spark usually produces a wet, oily plug.<br /><br />Don't assume that your problem is ignition until you have checked for spark and gotten none.<br /><br />I expected you to search for power loss to get troubleshooting advice. You must have looked for Force powerpack troubles.<br /><br />A Service Manual, bought or borrowed from a library, can guide you through powerpack testing.<br /><br />If 12Footer sees this he may have further advice.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

greggrant

Cadet

My plugs have been wet and oily (both) every time I've looked at them the last couple of weeks.They deffinately have not been burning like they should. I have worked through the fuel system and am getting plenty of gas to both cylinders. The engine has run but poorly . blocking off the air to one cylider stopped the motor dead where as the other one barely made a differance. In addition to the one plug being clean it was also not as warm as the other when i took them out. How would i tell if it was water and how would that affect the performance that i have described?<br /><br />Thanks

JB

Yes. Your added info does point to no spark, and it is clear that #2 is not making power.<br /><br />Have you tried swapping coils and plug wires? That can identify or eliminate them as suspects.<br /><br />Good luck with the manual. Let us know what you find. :)

greggrant

Cadet

Got the manual. Swapped the leads to the coils the engine wouldn't even sputter though it did turn. Switched them back and now she won't start. Tested the trigger for resistance and allwas as it should be. I am limited on test equipment but I do have a small multi tester. How can i further diagnose the CD modual?