force 150 no spark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gerard1970

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: force 150 no spark

I searched it and found a couple places...not as bad as I thought. So, in theory, if I replaced the old stator with this one, eliminated the converter box and replaced the switch box, there is no reason that it will not spark, correct? Is that the whole spark process ? Thank you...again!

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

Yes that is correct, however, unless you've determined they're both bad, you might be replacing a component that is good.

Just found another diagram of the 150HP ignition system. The Blue wire supplies high AC voltage from the battery converter box, to the switch box. The purple or purple/white wire is the signal from the switch box that activates the converter box. Under normal conditions with everything connected, you should see a trigger voltage (probably pulsing AC) on the purple wire, with a high level AC voltage (probably at least 180VAC - 200VAC)on the blue wire. If you see a pulsing voltage on the purple wire, but low voltage on the blue wire, then I would suspect the converter box is bad. If you do not see a pulsing voltage on the purple wire, then I would suspect the Switch Box is bad. This is just a guess, but only way to tell is to play around with it when it's acting up and compare when it's working normally.

Gerard1970

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Update....after checking all the components, I have not had any spark issues. I was using a pail to test it in and noticed alotof fuel oil in the water. Since this boat is new to me, I found the "sweet spot" in starting it. I was choking it to much and resulted in flooding it every time. For the last 3 days, It has run perfect! No issues!. Wondering if for some strange reason that the flooding had something to do with it. It is going in the water tomorrow and will post results. Again, thank you for all the help and hope I can repay you guys in the future.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

It's pretty easy to flood the motor. Glad to hear that all is working well...and it wasn't an expensive repair! Happy boating.

bmaltb

Cadet
Where does the CONVERTER BOX in the thunderbolt ignition get it's power?
I have the thunderbolt ignition. It may have been added to earlier motor.
Right now power is from red wire from always hot battery cable terminal on the solenoid.
The motor runs fantastic, just concerned I'm going to burn up some thing on this 30 yr old motor.
I looked at the wiring diagram for 1991 J-1994 . It seems to get power from the purple wire (ign on).
But the label on the converter box says "red". I don't have and reeeaaally don't want to run another wire form the key switch back to the motor.
Any thoughts, knowledge, experience or Wild Ass Guesses appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.