force 150 no spark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gerard1970

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: force 150 no spark

Well guess what..I tried what you last suggested and the meter went crazy. But the best part is that it fired up. Hooray!!!!! So, ran it in water and while it was running, plugged it back in and it stopped. Started it agai and this time unplugged the black and yellow from key, plugged it back together on the motor and it kept going. Mine has a tether switch that is spliced in the wire to the key and pulled it and it stopped...I am guessing it is a problem with the key switch.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

Or the Black/Yellow is pinched under something to ground. I'll bet if you disconnect the Black/Yellow wire from the Switch Box and measure between it and ground, you'll measure a short.

Gerard1970

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I will try that tomorrow... I really want to thank you for all your help. I have 4 children that are looking forward to fishing and was getting very concerned that I was not going to be able to do it. You literally have saved the day, and summer. Thank you so much!!

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

Glad to help out! At least you now have isolated as to what the problem is and it shouldn't cost you an arm and a leg to fix. Just some time and maybe a switch or connector.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

The ignition switch should have the terminals marked with some letters. There should be 2 terminals marked with the letter "M". One wire from the Kill Switch goes to one of the "M" terminals, the other wire from the Kill Switch goes to the other "M" terminal. The Kill Switch itself should read OPEN across the two terminals with the lanyard attached. You should see a short across the two terminals on the Kill Switch when you pull the lanyard off.

Jiggz

Captain

Congrats on your success. As initially diagnosed the blk/yel wire is the kill wire and could have been grounded or the ignition switch being faulty. The way it works is that when connected to ground it will shunt the power of the CDI's in the switch box thus not able to provide power to the ignition coils hence no sparks in the plugs shutting down the engine. It is a common source of problem when you lose all sparks on all plugs and should always be the first item to be diagnosed when no sparks on all plugs.

Gerard1970

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the information. Going to check where the problem is today and will get back to you on where the problem lies. Thanks for all the help!

Gerard1970

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well, no spark again...lol. Ran fine last night, went to start it and nothing. If I disconnected all the kill wires off the engine, would that eliminate the kill switch all together? I see 2 that are on the right side of the engine when standing in the boat and the one going to the switch box. Is it common for switch boxes to stop and start again? Thanks again.

Jiggz

Captain

Yes, disconnecting the blk/yel wire from the terminal board in the engine will eliminate the ignition sw and kill sw all together. Try doing that first and try again. If engine starts, then you need to read the rest of the blk/yel wire going to the ignition sw and kill sw to ground. With the ignition sw in on position and the kill sw in not activated position, there should be open reading between the wire and ground. With the ign sw in off position, there SHOULD BE CONTINUITY to ground. And the same should be true if the kill sw is activated. Anything different from these should indicate a problem with the wire or any of the two switches.

Gerard1970

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Is it possible that the battery was not turning it over fast enough? Put it on a charger and it fired up...

Jiggz

Captain

Is it possible that the battery was not turning it over fast enough? Put it on a charger and it fired up...

Could be but the only sure way to find out is to try it over a few times with the battery charger connected. If it misses to start again it indicates there is something intermittently not working either a loose wire or faulty ign sw since the ign sw is the only thing mechanically moved while testing.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

Double check all of the battery connections. I have to wire brush all of mine at the beginning of each season. They look fine when looking down at them. Take the battery connectors off and look at the underside and I see all kinds of corrosion.

Gerard1970

Petty Officer 3rd Class

If I take the black and yellow wire off the ignition switch, is there anything stopping it from starting? Are there any wires that are connected to the ignition that could be the problem? It ran last night with and without the kill wires attached. It seems to spark one minute, then when it sits overnight, doesn't work the next day.....it starts no problem once it gets running... Could start and stop all day no problem. When it sits, it has no spark and after a lot of tries, it finally works. Does a switch box or converter box act like this when it is on its way out?

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

When the Black/Yellow wire is disconnected from the Switch Box, that eliminates any of the Kill Switch wiring or circuitry from preventing spark. If you get no spark with the B/Y wire disconnected, it's not the Kill Switch circuit that it preventing any spark. It's something else.

When it's acting up, disconnect the Purple and Blue wires from the Battery converter and check for voltage on the corresponding treminals on the Battery converter box when cranking. If you get voltage that's all over the place like you did when it was working, then I would suspect the Switch Box is bad. If you do not get those voltages, then I would suspect the battery converter box is bad (intermittent).

Gerard1970

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ok..thanks again. So, is it safe to bet that the stator or rectifier is not the problem? It looks like I will belooking at some new parts,( would prefer good used since I plan on replacing the motor in the near future), so I will test again tomorrow and look for the parts I need. Knowing that it cannot be the kill switch is really narrowing it down. Hated the thought of putting out hundreds to find out it was a bad kill wire. I have checked all the wires going to the motor and all the grounds, so it is getting down to the wire. Any suggestions on where to get used parts? Thanks for all the help.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

The stator on this particular set up only supplies voltage to charge the battery. Not likely a cause for the symptoms that you're experiencing.

The Switch Box is still available new and on any of the auction sites. The battery converter box is no longer made and only available used on the auction sites. There is a special stator made by CDI Electronics that eliminates the need of the battery converter box. The special stator is available new and occasionally on the auction sites. Most of the folks that are selling the used battery converter boxes are very proud of their units. They often want more for the used converter boxes than the new special CDI Electronics stator.

Gerard1970

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Is there a name for the special stator? Looked on their site, but not sure which one. Thanks.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

Yes it is a special stator, and I can't find it using their standard search. You have to use the P/N to search. It's 176-4796 K1.

Status
Not open for further replies.