Force 150 - Leaking Carburetor.....Any advice

buddsy

Cadet
My carburetor is leaking from 2 different areas when pringin with the bulb. Am going to rebuild the cab but want any and all advice around what may be causing the leak and any tips or advice for the rebuilding project - It is the bottom carb on the motor. Engine fired right up after coming out of storage so I think if I fix this I should be OK. Added some pics pointing out the location of the leak just not sure what may be the cause - Thanks!!!

Attachments

• Wells-20120615-00038.jpg
    Wells-20120615-00038.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Wells-20120615-00035.jpg
    Wells-20120615-00035.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 0

foodfisher

Captain
Re: Force 150 - Leaking Carburetor.....Any advice

Inlet needle and seat connection. Should be no grooves on needle, if seat is rubber it may be deteriorating. Float may need adjusted

buddsy

Cadet

Replaced all the gaskets, needle and adjusted the float - primed it and it held - started it up ran then when i shut it off it started leaking again...............only ran it for 20 seconds

Any thoughts on what it needs would be great!

aladin_sane

Seaman Apprentice

Sounds like the float isn't floating. Open it back up and see if the float is full of gas.

buddsy

Cadet

Could you explain a little bit more regarding the float isn't floating????
I had pulled the carb replaced all the gaskets and needle (etc...) do you mean that the float fills up with gas and doesn't float???

Thanks

aladin_sane

Seaman Apprentice

That is exactly what I mean. It is possible that the float has a hole in it, when the gas fills the bowl, it can enter the float. The float no longer lifts up to close the needle and the bowl overflows.

buddsy

Cadet

Thanks - will pull off the carb again................or can I check this while on the boat by taking off the bowl???
When I originally pulled the carb it was not filled but I undersatnd a little bit more now!!!

Off to the yard to see what I can find......

aladin_sane

Seaman Apprentice

On my 85HP, I can not get the bottom bowl off without removing the carb. It maybe looks like it could be done on your 150. It is also possible that the pivot pin on that float has come out of the pivot. I have had this problem before.

buddsy

Cadet

So I pulled the bowl off - Float was not filled with fuel. ran the engine - It does not leak while running but started again the second I shut the engine down.
Have purchased a new float anyway and will be replacing this week along with another pivot pin.

Any other thoughts?????

foodfisher

Captain

Where is the leak coming from? Bowl, vent, throat?

buddsy

Cadet

On the original post - The first picture shows what I believe is the vent.
It is not coming from the bowl or the throat for sure...........

aladin_sane

Seaman Apprentice

Sorry, but I have exhausted my experiences. If you replaced the needle, the float isn't leaking and the pivot pin is in place, I don't know what could be causing this problem.

buddsy

Cadet

No problem - Thanks for the advice............I am getting worn out by the issue and am at the tipping point myself!!!