Force 125 1988 Gear shift rod question

DYI Paul

Recruit
Hello Im new to boating and purchased a 1988 Bayliner. It has a Force 125 HP Model C motor. My question I hope to get an answer for relates to the forward and reverse does not engage. I can increase the engine but the drive will not engage. I removed the cotter clip and connecting pin from the gear shaft rod and moved it upwards which engaged the drive so I believe the lower gearing works. When I remove the engine cover I can see the two cables which are controlled by the forward/reverse lever, then move some metal rod linkage turning left to right. Where I have a mental block is what/where is the connection from left to right movement transferred to up and down. I did some research online and was able to find some diagrams but nothing showing me how this connects or how to access it. Any helps very welcome. Paul

The Force power

Commander
Where I have a mental block is what/where is the connection from left to right movement transferred to up and down.
Welcome to IBoats,

The rod in the middle leg does not go left to right, but up end down by the interlock arm (#63) maybe its misaligned or missing?

Just so you know; you posted in the Mercury form and yours is a Force, next time post your question in the Force forum (you'll get more replies :) )
I'll ask the admin. to move this to Force/Chrysler site

Attachments

• fFlS8CW6.png
    fFlS8CW6.png
    159.7 KB · Views: 7

DYI Paul

Recruit
That makes perfect sense. I will crack on with this information today. Thank you LC